I practiced Ed Parker's Kenpo karate for about 4 years and then Tae Kwon do for about 4 before coming to Japan. In Japan, I've been doing light contact karate that my teacher calls sundome for about 2 years and I still can't get it right!

I've improved a lot, but every time I spar, my teacher says I'm punching or hitting too hard. When I try pulling my punches he says they are too slow and sloppy. He somehow wants me to throw punches at full speed, no power and somehow lightly tap my opponent without injuring him or her. All without wearing gloves or any type of pads. I broke one of the other students nose once by trying this. It sounds crazy to me, but my teacher says that's what makes it difficult. You have to control your speed and power.

I'm used to actually hitting my opponents and not worrying too much about hitting them too hard. Of course even in America we had rules like no hitting below the belt, neck or back but these rules take it a step further. Even strong body shots are a no good!

I think this style is closely related to shito-ryu if that helps.

Does anyone have any advice for me?