Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Slow Internet, help!?

My housemates and I have a wireless internet connection, it was set up in the house before I moved in so I didn't have any influence into how it was set up. Normally the internet speed is fine but over the last few days has become insanely slow (~30kB/s) or at least insanely slow on my computer. My housemate says she doesn't have any problems and runs antivirus software regularly (my first thought was that someone had a virus that was eating the bandwidth). I have tried resetting the router and turning my wireless adapter on and off and tried windows wireless diagnostic tool which claims no problem. I have run lots of antivirus and malware checks on my computer too.

Do you think there is a chance we have been hacked and someone is using our internet? I had a quick look at the wireless network properties I have access to and under security type it says "No authentication (Open)" and the encryption type is "WEP" so there is a password but I gather WEP is not the best security system anyway.

If it hasn't been hacked, what else can I do to find out why my internet connection is so slow?

Unregistered
    Due to any one of the following reasons your internet gets slow down ;

1. Local network is overloaded
    2. Malware or scareware on end users computers
    3. Bad connection

If you want to speed up your internet connection , use the following tips :
    1. Clear cookies from your browser
    2. Close unwanted background tasks when you are working with the internet .
    3. Scan your internet by using standard Anti-virus software
    4. Reset your modem and reconnect with the internet.
    5. Test your internet speed often by using Scanmyspeed.com