Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Traveling Amtrak for the first time, major concerns?

Tomorrow night I'm traveling Amtrak for the first time. I'm going from Iowa to California, so its somewhat of a long trip.
    I'm extremely nervous. I'm 19 and this is my first time traveling and traveling alone. I an really worried because the station I'm getting on at doesn't have anyone there on sundays. They don't offer checked baggage either. I know it sound stupid, but I dont know how to get on the train or what I do after I get on the train because since there is no checked baggage I have to put my luggage somewhere but I don't even know where.
    I'm also worried because once I get to California I have to ride a bus to san fransico. That bus says it has checked baggage but will I have to check my baggage?

I probably sound like an idiotic but I'm seriously confused and worried about this. I have no one I can ask and honestly I'm almost in tears over this. Please, any advice is greatly appreciated!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I been on amtrak from missouri to illinois and vice versa show up half hour early so ur not rushing ur first time since there is no one there sunday and already have tickets in hand when train arrives just get on make sure to bring id now if tickets r paid for but u dont have tickets in hand u need to find the the amtrak machine that looks like atm and u need ur reservation number u need to swipe a debit/credit card doesn't matter what card as u won't b charged it should say print tickets or something like that and ask for reservation number punch in the number follow the on screen directions once ur tickets print wait for train one it arrives there is no seating order sit wherever unless u have first class there r racks on top of u to store luggage get settled in and when train starts to move conductor will check tickets abs thats it enjoy ride u can bring laptop or anything else to keep u entertained cuz there r electrical outlets to charge phones ect under the window and there is a food cart u can walk and sit down in as well as bath rooms but I advise bringing ur own non perishable food cuz it can b expensive