Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is my martial arts school a Mcdojo?

My school's company is Ernie Reyes West Coast World Martial Arts. I go to one of them in California, it is one of many in the state, right now my level is brown belt, and I guess I can say I am satisfied with what I am learning, but only recently did I learn what the term "mcdojo" meant, and some of the main factors of a mcdojo seem to match my school, but I'm not totally sure. So on the outside of the school it says "martial arts", and I remember when I first signed up for it, people were telling me it was karate class, but later on did I find out the base martial art is actually taekwondo, plus a few other things. For example, in class we do forms, kicking and punching(strikes), cardio kickboxing sometimes, sticks, and we also learn stuff like wrist releases, a few grappling techniques like the ones in MMA, or brazilian jiu jutsu, which is the formal term for it. My concern is that I think its a mcdojo since it doesn't fully teach real taekwondo, but it mizes in other techniques outside the normal taekwondo curriculum I think, but we only learn very few of each, so in a way i can say its a "mixed martial arts" class, but not actual "MMA" of course, just actually mixing martial arts. So my question is are these school mcdojos? Here is a link to its web site if you wanna see for yourself:

http://www.erniereyes.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Does it really matter? if you are learning self defence and having fun, along with getting exercise you should be happy. its like 20% of canadian kids cant afford to be in sports.... Im very sure that percentage is higher in the USA.