As a trainer I do some western riding but normally stick to the english world if you know what I mean. Anyways I recently ran across a purebred silver grulla 8 month old colt. You wouldn't believe his rear end HUGE with a very refined muscle line. Incredilbe horse bred to compete. After having him for a month he's really turned into a new horse. Within the first week we had him he was lunging, tying, blanketing, lifting his feet, hopping in the trailer, bathing, cross tying, bitting (for ponying purposes only), wrapping, and my fav he slept through me clipping his bridal path and ears. Now he's on a workout, feed, and turnout plan and is advancing incredibly. So proud of my boy! We have recently seen what he's capable of doing and are just trying to keep him this way to where when he's started he'll continue to give it to us. This horse has speed, turns on a dime, and slides like nuts. He's got the conformation and lines as well. Providing he stays this way he will be kept as a stud horse. Now he's bred for reining and it's very much obvious. Were hoping to enter him in some futurities (totally know I didn't spell that right). So having no clue about the reining world I've decided to board him at a huge western show barn nearby for training once he's started. To cut down on costs we'd like to back him at our stable so at what age should we do this for a reining futurity horse? I've heard 1 6 months but I like to wait until at least 2 or 2 and a half to start all my others. Also what am I looking at as far as training? I have very little intrest in riding him in reining compititions so what would it cost me to hire a rider? Also he's only 8 months but I'm thinking he may already be dropping. His pasture mare was in standing heat this morning and he was all into her. Flipping the lip, smelling but not attempting to mount however it may be due to the fact that she's taught him his lessons since the first day they were turned out together and sets the boudries. Were gonna twitch him and clean out his sheath and check for any dropping but it's a little early right? Should we seperate them? Their not related but the mares and Arab so I do not want a mix! I don't think he can reach her. To me it sounds like he's maturing quickly so I'm wondering when you guys thing I should move him to a stud paddock. Thanks so much!