Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

"hey you" as a greeting? what does it mean?

Your Open QuestionShow me another »
    The greeting "Hey you"in an email what does this mean?
    If someone you dont know well, have met a couple of times, (casually, coffee, no date.) You have contact via email, we have messaged a few times, even after cofffee, and a few times they have begun the email with "hey you"

They have sent me a message a few times, with "hey you" and then a normal message, is that
    A: a friendly greeting that they use, just how they speak?
    B: a greeting for friends?
    C: a hint they may possibly like you?

I think its A or B

what do you think?

I dont know them well, we arent friends yet, we have only met twice, mabye they want to be freinds, maybe nothing, maybe? Im not reading anything into this yet, just need opinions. I think B but am not sure quite a few messages are started hey you and, we arent friends really. But many ppl use this as a greeting I think? Noone has said this to me before. I think its B.

please explain why you think this, thnks very much for answers
    they know my name! sometimes the emails are hey then my name sometimes hey you..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nine times out of ten, "Hey..you"..! Means I forgot your name.

It might help to tell a story using your name...
    "..hi..it was so funny because that FedEx guy just walked up to me and said Hello Tuesday..so I said..how do you know my name..and he said I didn't mean YOU..I meant Hello Tuesday morning"..! It's lame, but if you don't say your name, they'll never remember it.

Either that, or wear a name tag..and that will never do.

EDiT

As far as it being code for something..it isn't. It DOES indicate they like you and want to greet you..but either never knew, or don't recall your name. It's not something anyone would say to someone they had no interest in. No one would say "Hey you"..! (all chirpy and happy) if they didn't like you).

It's also the sign of a person who's a politician at heart. They will go on to run for class president, be voted homecoming queen, and achieve acclaim and accolades because they have a charm about them. They have the ability to make others (even strangers) feel like a special, chosen friend.It means they are friendly, concerned with the overall popular vote..feel it's worthwhile to make others feel special..and because they like you. It's all good.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Definitively an "A and B." I use both. If I know you well or maybe an acquaintance, whom I've met a couple times before, but don't know them too well. Wait, if you've gone out for coffee, and exchanged numbers, maybe wants to be good friends or more. Maybe, all depends on that vibe you get when you might see them. All really depends.