Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good sport bike for a beginner?

I've been riding dirtbikes almost my whole life and recently began riding some of my friends motorcycles. I'm planning on buying one soon but I want to get one that is easy to learn on but that will still be good for me once i gain some expereince on it. I'm looking to buy used and hopefully get something that will last a fairly long time. Since I'm experienced at riding bikes I'm leaning towards a 600cc bike, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Downloads
    Uploads
    one that is easy to learn on ... so not a 600cc sports bike.. they are made for the race track & then some bright spark in Japan thought...... We can sell thousands of these to the yanks & kill them that way... much easier than invading again..& we make a profit... win .. win for us

& then the insurance companies thought to themselves.... Seems to be a lot of young Americans killing themselves on 600cc sports bikes... lets charge them a fortune to insure them before they die..

& then some of the Americans actually survived the 600cc sports bikes & learnt to ride... BUT it cost them a lot of cash to do it..

BUY A LESS POWER-FULL BIKE & LEARN TO RIDE FIRST....

Downloads
    Uploads
    600cc bikes are expert class bikes, and all the dirt bike experience in the world means little on the street. A good starter bike would be a ninja 650, or sv650. These are better suited for beginners, and you will not get bored easily on one. Insurance is also substantially cheaper on these than on race class bikes like 600cc and 1000cc bikes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I ride a 600 sport touring bike and I can tell you know how to ride a bike is different from actually riding that puppy on the road. You are going to find the power band different and the throttle response quite quick. When I bought mine my insurance agent freaked when she thought it was a CBR600 and not a CB 600. She quoted me a large amount for insurance this is because sport bikes and most of their riders end up as hood or lawn ornaments.

Depending on what you plan on doing and if you don't need to ride on the highways for a long distance, I'd go for maybe a 250 bike to start get used to it and move up later. Do I need to say take the rider safety course?

Downloads
    Uploads
    a 250cc is a descent size i think. a buddy of mine has one and has had it for about 5 years and has just recently mentioned he wants a bigger size bike.
    so i would say a 250cc would do just fine for about five years until you will want something else. and 5 years of riding would get you out of the "beginner" stage if you ride regularly.

Downloads
    Uploads
    hell any late model(2008 & later) 600cc has 3 different power levels preset
    just put it in lowest setting when u start out.

Fuck what other people are saying about beginner bikes

Downloads
    Uploads
    Which way are you leaning with that 600?
    Which insurance companies did you get a quote from.
    Did those quotes knock any sense into the real world?