Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart, accident, what do i do?!?

Please bare with me when i tell you what is going on...
    I was using my mothers netbook computer, it is very small. I had my drawing tablet plugged in when i noticed the battery was about to go. So i sat up to get the charger to plug in, when i caught my foot on the tablet wire and the little netbook went flying off my lap and onto the floor. Black screen... oh crap. I went to turn it back on and i got this message, and i am not very good with computer problems at all. My mother is going to freak out, you have no idea. First thing i went to do was open the back to see if anything got loose, but for some reason the screws wont open so i don't think i have the right screwdriver then. So i sat panicking as i have no idea what to do. We are not a well off family and can't afford another hard drive right now. If she finds out i broke it somehow, I know she will blame me, so what am i going to do? Should i just let her find out by booting it herself and then il tell her not to worry or something? that il try fix it? Should i just say, well it fell, please don't kill me, I will try fix it or somehow pay for it?(oh god no, im so broke). I know you might laugh really hard reading this, but im really in the deep here. I tried reading up on solutions but i do not understand this computer jargon. It'a a Zoostorm 10-270 netbook. It ran vista but im not sure what type. That's all i got.
    Thanks.
    Oh my god no way, please just tell me something is loose, oh my gosh.

I can't tell her, she will never forgive me. Im going to have to pay her to get it fixed and if it cant be fixed she is going to be so mad by losing her stuff. She gets so mad.... i will never be allowed on her pc again. Im doooomed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You killed the hard drive.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well sorry to tell you this but you just messed up your hard drive.

The disk in the hard drive is very sensitive, it may stand a few shakes and drops but it has a limit.
    that's why you need to be more careful with laptops no matter the size.

Your best bet is to replace the hard drive and hope nothing else died on you other than the hard drive.

Well you can lie and all but she will find out eventually after she takes it to get it repaired.
    when the technician see's the words "Disk" he will ask if it was dropped, and if he has a hunch that it was dropped he will check out the laptop for any dents or scratches (trust me i do this) and he will confirm it... and there goes your lie.

so yeah bu honest about it and face the music. i hate giving bad news but they must be given.

try turning it on again and press the F-keys until you can get to the repair menu and set it to the last known configuration or do a full reformat to when it barely came fresh out of the box.

if this fails i will start a help me buy a new hard drive foundation...