What should I do about no bikes in the dorms?

blakeyboy

Nov 24, 2011
To make a long story short, I just got hired as an RA in the dorm I'm in now, but current policy doesn't allow bicycles to be stored in the building. Cycling is my passion and even after writing a letter to the housing office and speaking with a supervisor, I've still been told no. My bike is expensive and there are currently no safe housing options available. What do I do now? How do I get an exception and/or create a change to this policy?

Hey Blakley,
That's a tough one... I'd get together with other cyclists and petition your housing office to provide safe storage. Come up with a concrete plan first though. Probably not a good idea to just go bustin in and "demand" anything without some idea of what you're asking. Do your homework (sucks I know) and present a reasonable alternative to the current policy. It's tough fighting some of the perceptions around cycling and why there's a need for safe storage and places to ride but there's also strength in numbers. If you go in just bitching and complaining your chances are probably not very good on getting anything changed.

Back