My 98 Infiniti I30 has a code of P0446, something involving the EVAP. What is

Vikesfan06

Nov 22, 2011
this problem? if anyone could provide me with any information about this code, the costs of repairing, etc i would appreciate it! The more i know about it, the more a mechanic won't be able to take advantage of my wallet!

P0446 usually means the valve to the EVAP canister, which stores random fuel vapors so they don't end up in the atmosphere, is screwy. The part itself runs about $180, but it shouldn't take a whole day to install.

99% of the time this is a gas cap problem. Either it is not getting tightened adequately after gassing up or the little plunger in the cap that lets air into the tank but keeps the gasoline vapors trapped can stick open and allows gas vapors to escape. I have thus far replaced three caps on three different cars for this minor issue. A 1988 Cadillac, a 1991 Chevy truck, and my sons 1996 Toyota Avalon.

Most of the time you will notice a gasoline smell when this plunger inside the cap is stuck. I tried spraying the plunger and poking it with the end of the tiny screw drive to make it settle back in place to no avail. You should be able to find an after market gas cap for around $10-$15 at your local auto parts store. And get one that locks so you keep the bad guys from making off with your gasoline when you're not looking.

Good Luck!

Have a qualified mechanic check the vapor return lines with a vacuum gauge. There is a one way check valve each line that gets plugged up.

If that's the case, It's a breeze to fix.

Back