Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question about karate?

Im 12 turning 13 in december and im thinking about taking karate lessons. But im nervous

When i start will i be put in a class of all beginers? Or people thT have more expirence?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Depends on the place

In the place I teach at we have a beginners only class one day a week and then a class for everybody a different day it expected that you try to make it to both classes.

Don't be nervous nobody will laugh at you. Here is one reason. While I like teaching Karate I want to make a profit.You are paying me. If the other people make you miserable by teasing you then most likely you would quit and fine somewhere that was nicer to train. I would lose your money. Its a business.

Also I expect nothing of beginners the first thing I teach s how to make a fist. That is how basic I start out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    yes,, you will start with beginers, don't be nervous, see it like a sport,,only is a little more,,you will learn selfdefence,,anybody can throw a punch,,but not everyone can block one,,i just put my kids in it they are learning they are younger than you,,,

Downloads
    Uploads
    :P it all depends on the dojo. Im a student of a small dojo run by our Grandmaster and his wife we have a mixed class not seperating beginner from black belt but all schools are diffrent. I dont blame you for being nervous i was really really nervous when i first started but now i love going to class and training i wish we had class more than just twice a week but :P what can ya do lol good luck friend

Junior Member Musicmeanseverything2me's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well if your just starting go with beginner xD

Downloads
    Uploads
    The other students in your class SHOULD have more experience - a good school wouldn't separate beginners and more experienced students. This is so that the new(er) students can learn from the 'seniors.' 12 - or 13 - is a good age to start learning martial arts. It's okay to be nervous, just don't be afraid to talk to the other students to get help on stuff. They may seem kinda distant or scary, but seniors (and other beginners) are always willing to help. Good luck.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Depends on the school. Some schools are a mixture of beginners and non beginners. And some are reversed they put you in a class mainly for beginners. Depends on the school.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I encourage you to try Karate. Millions of people start as beginners every day. During my time at karate I saw 40 and 50 year old white belts starting for the first time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey there. I know exactly how you feel - I was put into karate at age 13 by my mother. When you start karate training you will highly likely be put in a class that has entry-level karate students (meaning white belts). However, your class will not just be composed of white belts, but will more than likely have a multitude of levels ranging from the starting point of a beginner class (white belt) all the way up to intermediate (blue/purple/green/brown).

Also, it is very common for a beginner class to have a whole onslaught of very experienced senseis (karate gurus) training a variety of levels of karateka (students of karate). This will help you immensely. Also, you may feel a little bit intimidated for your first few lessons, but please - stick with it! You will soon discover a whole new you and a whole new ability to focus, be creative, learn, generate more confidence in yourself (if you're lacking it, like I was at first), be compassionate towards others, and, quite simply, love life. Karate is a great martial art and you will be very satisfied within yourself once you start achieving success.

So, to sum up - Until you get up to about 2nd kyu/ 1st kyu (dependent on style) you will generally always be in a class composed of kids (12+), adults, beginners, intermediate students and senseis. Once you start attending the higher ranked classes, generally everyone above you is a sensei. So, all-in-all you have a great learning environment made up of all sorts of different levels/people!

Hope this helps.

Do-ita shimashite.