What is the Atheist's response to prophecy?

Ashton

Feb 18, 2008
There seems to be no logical argument for this. The Bible predicted that Israel would be restored as a nation and sure enough, it did. Not only was it restored as the Bible said it would, but it was also restored in one day as the Bible also said it would. That would be like me saying "as soon as you are done reading this post your entire home will lose power" and then every light in your home went out. Isn't the restoration of Israel enough to at least make you start considering things?

It's all crap like "there will be wars and rumors of wars and earthquakes".

No sh!t, sherlock.

And is it any wonder that the people who got kicked out of their homeland had a fond wish to return there and eventually did?

And I don't recall reading "British Mandate" and dates in the Bible.

No--what bible prophecy is more like is prediciting "sometime in the next 100 years your home will lose power"--with those kind of predicitions it's a gimme that they are fulfilled.

There were over 300 prophecies in the O.T. alone proving that Jesus would be the coming Messiah. Jesus fulfilled every one of them. This would be impossible for anyone else. These prophecies came about long before Jesus was even born.
They relate things about the crucifixion which wasn't even the way of being executed in those days, and they relate specific details about Christ, where he would come from, and many other things as well.
Yet atheists still don't believe.

They are extremely vague predictions that were almost 100% certain to come true. If they were any more specific I doubt they would be fulfilled.

Atheists do not have to since psychiatry explains the problem very well!

Enjoy your fantasy but realize that the men in white coats are just round the corner!

It's complete bullshit. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. You are of course free to enjoy your delusions but that's all they are.

My neighbor predicted we would go to war with two powers in the Middle East and South Asia last decade, and we did. He also predicted the decline of Microsoft, and it did.

He also thinks he's Napoleon Bonaparte and wears one of those cool Napoleon hats around.

Umm, Israel was restored because of the prophecy. The Jews demanded their homeland back and it was given as part of the territorial negotiations after war.

That is like me predicting that my light will turn out in my room and then going over and flipping the switch.

Israel's restoration is a self-fulfilling prophesy.

In 3 weeks a tall man will eat a burger.

There's no logical argument because there's no such thing as fulfilled prophesies. Study harder.

Have you ever heard fo a self fulfilled prophesy???

Look it up...

Your 'predicting' my lights will turn out and they do have nothing in common, it's called a coincidence... and would mean nothing more than if I did the same to you... Would you consider me a prophet? Didn't think so... that's apples and oranges...

So, no, it just makes me wonder about people that do...

IMHO

My response is that the return of Israel and my house burning down do not have the same statistical probablility of happening. I believe that the verse you are referring to is Zecharia 2:13 which reads "And it shall happen in that day that I will make Jerusalem a very heavy stone for all peoples; all who would heave it away will surely be cut in pieces although all nations of the earth are gathered against it."

The ironic thing is that the authors actually failed to defend Isreal against the Romans who held Israel until the seventh century when it was then taken over by the Muslim Arabs and defended against waves of Crusades until Isreal was ceded to the Jews in 1948 by the British. If the Christian god is real, why did he allow those heathens to hold his holy land for so long?

Fairy tales sometimes come true too. Fiction has that property: write enough of it, and some of it might come true. Add to that liberal interpretations over thousands of years result in multiple opportunities to pretend that a particular fiction has come true.

Are fundamentalists opposed to critical thinking? I think so.

No, because the Bible had nothing to do with its restoration. There were some very clear reasons as to why it was reestablished as a country.

Besides, when you expel an entire people from their holy land there's a good chance that they'll take it back sooner or later, so it didn't take a whole lot of foresight to predict that.

I could predict that China will go to war sometime in the future. Chances are that in the next 2000 years my "prophecy" will be fulfilled.

Back