If you take your air condition vent and remove it from the dash of your car,?

jerryb

May 28, 2008
Then run that A/C vent into your breather, directing that air straight into your carburetor, would it increase your horse power.

Well, it will give you more power than directing it up the exhaust, but not enough to measure. You would gain a better power to weight ratio by removing the a/c altogether.

I would think, if anything it would decrease your horse power. I would think hot air would, to a small degree give you more horsepower, slightly. Couple the drag on the engine to run the AC and just turning it off would be a much better choice. Plus, not sure any possible moisture that might get in would harm the engine.

i can see an engineering degree in your future.

can't develop enough CFM (air flow).

but they do make electric blowers. super chargers. that develop positive induction pressures.

it's ideas like this, way back when that got us where we are today.
ppl have even incased carbs in plexi and charged that!
so keep thinking of ideas. when you're more mechanically savvy, they'll come into play in a more practical way

Yes and no. The cooler denser air may increase hp, but then any increase would be more than off set from the drag of the compressor. Basically the same reason a perpetual motion machine will not work.

Your kidding me right? Maybe you should try glueing 1000 AA batteries on your hood, that might make more power. No, I think your best bet is to re route the exhaust to the AC vents. Moron!!

You'll get a bigger hp increase just by turning the AC off.

Over the years there have been all kinds of gizmos: "ram air" funnels, electric fans, ice-cube holder air cleaners, mist injectors etc., etc., etc. that claimed a supercharging or air cooling effect effect. For a street car, you need 5 to at least 10 pounds-per-square inch air pressure into a sealed system to gain significant horsepower - your AC isn't gonna do it.

Maybe, but you'll lose YOUR cool.
I have been working on the idea of a cold air induction tube with a condenser coil split parallel from the compressor into the tube, the incoming air runs thru the condenser to the carb/ air injector and the rest goes to the interior as normal.
For every 10 ^ drop in ambient temp at the carb you gain 1% HP.
10^ drop in a 300 Hp engine gets 3 HP. I doubt that I'll ever get it working, you're welcome to try.
Write me and I'll reply with more details.

A leaf blower, funneled into a sealed air induction system will add h.p.

But to answer your question, no. Not enough positive pressure, at the upper rpm range to effectively work... But at the lower rpm range if you sealed it good enough, then yes, you would see a slight change and probably a check engine light !!!

the cold air from the a/c would increase maybe 1-2 hp
but the drag from the a/c pump is likely killing 3hp or more.
not as cost effective as simply rerouting the a/c vents, but an intercooler would be an effective approach to cooling off your intake air that you're looking for, and even there im not sure if the restriction of pulling the air through all those small ports would do more harm than the small gain from the slightly cooler air, an intercooler is designed more to cool the heated air coming off a turbo.

ironic... i have my breather plumbed to take air from my HOT exhaust manifold... im just trying to save a cpl bucks gas these days

Back