My beautiful husky and this winter?

Cally

Jun 8, 2008
Ok so its almost winter and will soon start to snow. I bought my most beautiful husky grace going to be 4 years ago coming up. I also have 2 husky/ shepard mix puppies, well 2 year old which i had since birth, and no their not graces pups lol. But grace is getn older and i really want to make this winter the best for her because she absolutely loves it when the snow comes down. Shes jealous of the other two of course and has been feeln down. What can i do this winter to make it super fun for her and different?? She loves to dig and try to lay in the holes but there never big enough and i afraid to join in on the digging because soon there would be 50 craters in the yard if i let her kno it was ok. Any suggestions would help?! Btw i live in ohio so it gets super cold for me to stay out there long

With my Siberian I used to bury some treats under the snow and see if she could find them, another good idea is to play with her! Dogs love to be side by side with their owners!

dogs have short lives, i can tell you love your dogs very much so, just let 'em play in the snow. let 'em dig craters. once they pass, you'll regret not giving them the BEST life they could of had. your yard can be fixed. :)

create a pile of snow for her either out front or back and let her out before the others so she has extra 'grace' time

I have 5 dogs, two of them are older, and three are puppies. They all absolutely love the snow too. The oldest is about 8, and the puppies don't usually play with her. I've noticed that if you make a snowball and thrown it they love it. Or pick up a bunch of show and throw it over them. We also get huge snow drifts in our yard and they love to make holes in them to lay in.

Take her sledding with you. Get her a harness, hook her up to a sled and let her pull you up the hill. Then she will chase you all the way down. Loads of fun for dogs that like the snow.

My dog loved this and so did all the kids in the neighborhood! Plus it saved us from having to pull the dam sled up the hill each time! LOL

Try it....

You should get a sled that she can pull you on. That's something you could do with her that wouldn't include the pups. It doesn't sound like fun for her but working dogs love to work. Dogs mostly only dig holes when they're bored so that's a sign that she needs something to keep her busy.

First you'll need to fix up a harness for her with ropes coming off the side of the harness so that when she's pulling the stress is going across her chest and not around her neck choking her. You can buy one special for pulling but they're expensive and you could make one yourself with a regular harness and some rope.

Then start having her pull the empty sled, then add a bit of weight slowly till you get on the sled yourself. Remember that pulling you on hard packed snow/ice is going to be a lot easier than pulling you thru deep snow. In the summer you could keep it up by hooking her up to a wagon or go-cart type of thing.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=19238144
http://www.dogplay.com/Activities/harness.html
http://www.blackicedogsledding.com/page5.html
http://www.ikonoutfitters.com/harnesses.htm

Bury treats in the yard, ones with a strong smell, and just let her go crazy trying to find them.

My dog love to try to bite at the snow as it comes down and it is very funny. Make some snow balls and throw them up in the air. My dog runs and tries to catch them. It is just like throwing a tennis ball. When you clear your sidewalk or driveway, really pile it up and let her run around in it.
Do NOT join the digging. It isn't good, but as you clear the driveway make a hole IN THE SNOW big enough for her.

I'm assuming you're not planning on running the Iditarod with your dogs but Winterdance is a really interesting read.

Here is something my Shepherd/Husky mix ( named Wesley) loves. When is starts to snow, I have these bundle of rags, tied to the end of some parachute cords. You may not have parachute cord, so use rope. Anyways, I lay them out in the yard, stretched out in multiple directions, but with the end without rags, stick up, usually draped over the fence. The idea being I want to find that end without digging.

So it snows, and covers them up. Went I let the dogs out, (I also have a German Shepherd), Wesley, he goes crazy in fresh snow, must be the Husky DNA. He will race around every where. Well when he finally settles down, I'll have him come over and sit by me, then I'll say "what's that?". And he'll start scanning, then I tug on a rope. He'll race out, start digging around, and I'll keep moving the "mysterious critter" under the snow. sometimes he is having to dig at several targets, cause I'll be moving more then one. It is funny to watch him pounce nose first like a fox.

Sometimes I don't wait until he is done racing. It really gets both dogs going when they see something "moving" under fresh snow.

Anyways, that's one fun game. Give it a try. Sometimes it took a bit to get them going when we first started this new game.

Best of luck.

I'm your next door (state)neighbor and I know what you mean about cold weather. My best friends son raises, shows, and trains Huskies.....he was a handler at Crufts and Westminster, and he says merely allowing the husky access to the outside when it's cold is enough. They will find their own fun and games, although he says chasing snowballs is his favorite thing to do with all the dogs.
Imagine running with 20 Huskies.....fun, huh?

Back