Flea Medication for my 56 pound dog?

SusanlMarie

Oct 18, 2010
I am going to buy Advantage flea medication and my dog is 56 pounds and is 14 months old. She is 1/3 black lab, 1/3 blue heeler & 1/3 collie. The Advantage comes in 21-55 pounds or Over 55 pounds. Which should I buy 21-55Lbs or Over 55Lbs?

The 1 pound difference will not make a difference so I would give the lower dosage.I am careful about giving things that effect the central nervous system and I would be on the safer side. I would also get and give Comfortis which is much better form of flea control.

Your dog is 56lbs right now which is greater than 55lbs. So buy the Over 55lbs one. Plus your dog is still growing so she is only going to get bigger.

According to my vet, the one pound difference doesn't mean much. You can use either the 21 to 55 or the over 55.

Your vet is best to answer that, but usually when the weight is that close you would go with the larger weight just to be sure of coverage.

Ask your vet about Vectra. This is a new product to the market and I use it. Works really well! Only availbale through your vet.

Hope this helps

you should definitely buy over. The 21-55 lbs will only kill a few fleas because it will not be enough. If your dog has a special condition or something you may want to ask the vet. the breed of a dog does not effect how much it needs though. You dog sounds very beautiful with all of thees mixes. I had this trouble with my dog Rosie she was exactly 60 lbs and the medicine went from 30-60 and 60-90 my vet told me to go up.

You might want to stick with Frontline - I'm not sure I would put Advantage on a Collie mix. The active ingredient in Frontline does not go into the dog's organs otehr than it's skin layer.

At that weight, you can still get away with the smaller dose, so long as there isn't a heavy infestation.
If there is, you can go for the larger dose, but err on the side of safety if your dog has never used it before, at least at first. No sense asking for more trouble.

Collies aren't the only breed to have the MDR-1 gene defect - it may be worth it to have her tested, just so you know - it can save your dog's life:
http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-vcpl/

Get the over 55 pounds one. You go by their weight, and if she is 56 pounds then you need to get her the over 55 pounds one.

Use the K9Advantix, not the Advantage. The Advantix repels as well as kills and the repellent also repels mosquitoes.
I'd use the over 55 one to be sure.
If you have never used a topical before, watch your dog carefully as many of the Collies carry a gene referred to as the MDR1 gene making them highly susceptible to drug reactions. Not to worry you, just a warning and the fact that your dog is a mix might negate the gene anyhow.

Back