Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

How do I curb the whine?

My daughter is 21 months old and within the last month she has started on "campaign whine". Its pretty much become a constant sound in my home. No matter what shes doing if shes not laughing, shes whining. With a bit of feet stomping on the side

So far Ive been trying the "ignore her" approach. Hoping that if I just dont give her any attention, she will realize whining isnt the way and stop. However, like I said, its been 3 weeks and still, the high pitch complaining hasnt stopped.

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated...

Downloads
    Uploads
    With "mommy wine". Sorry. When I saw your question I was thinking my husband should bottle a couple of bottles of wine (my husband makes wine with juice; Eventually, we'll try grapes as we actually have some grape vines in the yard that came with the house) for dinner with my parents tonight.

When my now four-year-old started that, I would tell her that I would listen to her when she uses her normal voice and that I did not understand, nor would positively respond to, whining. Sure, she still tries it, but she knows the outcome. I tell her, as I have since she started it, that when she is ready to use her normal voice and real words, I will talk with her. (I have also deterred the use of "baby words", i.e. doggie, horsie, nanas, etc. I figured my daughter could not grow up learning to talk properly if she did not know the real words. Even now, she tells my MIL when she is using baby words. I don't even refer to myslef in the third person with my 12-month-old, and never did. With my daughter, I did for about six months, by then, I figure she knew who I am.) I digress.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ah, the "whining" phase. Ugh. You can try "I can't hear you when you whine. Use a big girl voice." To make sure she understands this, you can say what she said back to her. For example. in "I can't understand you when you whine. You said (use your whiney voice) 'I want milk, Mommy.' (this might make her laugh!). You need to use a big girl voice so I can understand you. (say it again in a normal voice)." Once you're sure she knows what you mean, don't give into any whining. Just keep repeating "Can't understand you when you whine." and walk away. She'll figure it out soon enough.

I had a little girl in day care once who did this. Everything she said was in a whine. It was making us all a little crazy. We pointed it out to her and when she talked to us we'd just say "Big girl voice" and she'd immediately change her tone. It took awhile, but she eventually gave up the whining altogether.