A new cat introduction to a black lab?

KeCe

Jul 9, 2008
I promised my friend I'd watch her cat over the week of thanksgiving. The only concern i have is how this cat will get along with my dog. (The cat lives with a dog but it's a very small dog) I have a pretty energetic 75% lab 25%chow mix. He's about 1 and a half and is extremely playful. He's lived with several cats for a week when he was 4 months old and he wasn't aggressive, just kind of rough and a little obsessed with wanting to play all the time. How would i go about introducing them? And is there anything else i should be aware of?

I had a lab chow mix and she was full of energy! Your babe still as a lot of puppy so he's going to give the cat a good run around but he won't hurt it... now the cat may be scared because the dog is so big... do you think you can keep them separated most of the time? Just for the cats sanity. Put the kitty in another room with a litter box, food and water. But give it attention as often as you can.

Place the cat in a room with the door closed. You should allow the animals to become aquainted with each other from the space beneath the door. Once they lose interest in each other you can try to let them out together. But this is a good situation--they've both lived with the other species before. It should be an easy introduction.

It's entirely possible that your dog will just scare the cat with it's high level of enthusiasm. Cats will take this as a sign of aggression. The best thing to do in these circumstances is keep them both in a smallish room together (so they can't avoid one another), and hold the dog as still as possible during the first encounters. Get the cat used to the dog being there for a few minutes.

Also, it's extremely important to make sure this cat doesn't have AIDS. Get it tested. There is a high rate of AIDS transfer from feline to canine. There is a home AIDS test you can do: get a spray bottle and put some vinegar in it. Spray the cat in the face. If it's eyes turn purple, it has AIDS. If not, you should be OK.

Yes, you should. You can teach a dog whatever you want but you can never persuade a cat that someone can occupy her territory. Especially a dog. Cat is male? Female? Any cubs on either side?
Anyway, before introducing them, provide yourself with a cup of water, in case of a fight. That will 100% cool them off. And if they want to fight, don't pour your water just on the cat - dog sense immediately that you don't approve of the cat and start to chase it.

Just bring the cat to your house and let them introduce themselves, if the cat feels it is in trouble it will get somewhere where the dog can't get it so make sure you're watching them at first. If the cat is open to dogs they will be friends by the time your friend gets back. Just make sure you're watching them at first because your dog may want to play but the cat won't and might destroy something.

Back