Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why is American football called football but Football is called soccer?

The British introduced the game Football (Soccer) into the world and the rest of the world accepted the name as football. However Americans feel the need to alter the name and call it Soccer. Football (Soccer) is called football for the fact that every player on the field has to use their feet to keep the ball, shoot, pass and score except one player from each team who are allowed to use their hands.

American Football, however, use their feet to play the ball 5% of the time during the game. The rest of the time they use their hands.

The argument that in order to play American football you need to use your feet to get to one play to another in order to score, is an irrelevant argument. This is so because if you use that argument then there is a case that all sports can be called football.

I think American football should be called handball because football does not explain the way they play the game. Give me a valid reason why its called football because I can't find any.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You're pretty ignorant.

The British introduced the game of "association football" to the world which eventually was shortened to "soccer". In the 1870s as American football developed, it started to call itself football to differentiate between "soccer" which was also being played in the U. S. 10-15 years later, the British started calling their game football. Americans were the first to call the game "football". We own the word since we used it first.

The etymology of the word "football' has absolutely nothing to do with kicking a ball. It originally referred to a variety of games in medieval Europe, which were played on foot by peasants, the aristocracy playing their games on horseback.

Actually, it doesn't matter what you think, you little turd troll. You're an American from California who's been aksing this question every other day for the last week and if I ever find you, boy, I'm gonna fśck you up big time.
    -----------
    friendly from maine - I hope that shķt doesn't keep you awake at night. Maybe you'd like to find another country where all that stuff doesn't happen. Good luck.

Downloads
    Uploads
    because you touch yourself at night

Downloads
    Uploads
    Another America hater....What's in a name? Go whine somewhere else.

Junior Member mˇttRIPPatriceO'Nealtt's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Why do you morons ask this question every day?

Downloads
    Uploads