Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is it possible to buy a locked iphone 4S from the US and use it in asia locked?

So the "unlocked" iphone is like so much more expensive than the locked one right, so of course my parents will only let me get the locked one, so ive asked my friend who is going to the US for the holidays this year to get me one (locked), but will i be able to use it here in indonesia? Its not out in stores yet here, and it will surely be way more expensive when it is. I dont mind having a locked iphone as long as i have an iphone 4S, so.. Should i just buy one from singapore? How much does it cost in sg anyway?? Thanks so much!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    The only way that you could use a locked iPhone on another carrier network would be if you were roaming internationally. The cost of doing that would make the unsubsidized cost of an unlocked phone direct from Apple look dirt cheap. In most of Asia you'd pay $3 per minute for local calls as they would be routed as international calls. Text messages to your local friends would cost you 50 cents each. You'd also pay several dollars per megabyte of data. The phone bill of the typical teen would run several thousand dollars per month.

You could not use a locked iPhone on your local network since it would be locked to the US carrier only. There's no current unlock procedure for a locked iPhone 4S.

Additionally the cost of a subsidized phone would be roughly equal to the unsubsidized cost once the contract termination charge was added on. You must commit to a 2 year contract in the US to get the unsubsidized pricing. A non US resident would have to put up a cash deposit or a credit card hold at least equal to the termination fee plus 2 or 3 months billing just to get the phone since they have no US credit rating nor US income to pay the bills. The total cost to get the phone would be higher than the cost of an unlocked unsubsidized phone directly from Apple.

Subsidized 32 GB iPhone 4S from AT&T: $199
    Contract termination fee: $399
    3 months advance bills: $360
    Total to get phone: $958

Unsubsidized unlocked 32 GB iPhone 4S from Apple: $649 (Available in late November)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't think anyone will sell a locked iPhone to a traveller. But if your friend manages to get one you can unlock it through third party unlockers like Mobileunlocksolutions.com and remove the network restriction permanently. After which you can use the iPhone 4S with a local sim. You can look in online for the price of iPhone in Singapore.