Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Did you know that a similar thing to Pascal's Wager can be used to argue for

being an atheist? Christians sometimes try to use Pascal's Wager to argue for being a christian but if you change Pascal's Wager around the right way you get a kind of Wager in which it's best to be an atheist. This is what that Wager states

If you live like there is no afterlife and there is an afterlife then it's a win win situation as you got to enjoy your life and you get to enjoy your self in the afterlife. If you spend your entire life worrying about the afterlife and there is an afterlife after all then at least you get to enjoy your self in the afterlife. If you live like there is no afterlife and there is no afterlife then at least you got to live life to the fullest. If you spend your entire life worrying about the afterlife and there isn't an afterlife though then you just wasted your only life and you don't get a second chance to enjoy life in the afterlife so you just wasted your only life.

So the best course of action is to live like there is no afterlife and be an atheist just in case there is no afterlife.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pascal's wager is great for Poly Pagans too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    what if your wrong and some other God is the real God and you are condemning yourself to hell by believing in Christian God

Downloads
    Uploads
    You talk about the afterlife like it is always a good place. As a Christian, I believe in a heaven and hell, so if you live for yourself you will not enjoy your afterlife, but will suffer it eternally in hell. Enjoy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not reading all that

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes. Alternatively, God doesn't want us to believe in him, thus atheists will be sent to heaven, and theists will be sent to hell. It's just as valid an assumption as thinking God wants us to believe in him.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The problem with Pascal's wager is that God is all knowing. He can therefore discern the sincere belief from the pretense. Therefore, a non-believer is wasting his time with such pretense. I, an atheist, give no thought to an after-life.

Downloads
    Uploads
    "We could both wrong, and there is a god with similar rules to your gods but you've believed in the wrong god. All I've done is not believe. According to quite a few I have at least a slight chance. You've held another god above the true god."

Downloads
    Uploads
    That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. I mean if you live like there is no afterlife (atheism) and found out there is an afterlife then God sends you to Hell. So it's a loss for anyone who didn't believe in the afterlife and God.