Why are drugs like alcohol, tobacco, and pharmaceutical drugs legal?

MreOrange1

Sep 25, 2011
If we have a "War on Drugs", then Why are drugs like alcohol, tobacco, and pharmaceutical drugs legal? They technically ARE drugs after all, and they all kill a lot of people every year. But marijuana, which has never killed anybody in recorded history, is one of the most illegal drugs in the United States. Why is that?

Nothing is "more illegal" than anything else. There is simply legal and not legal.

That would be because alcohol, tobacco, etc are socially acceptable...and always have been. whereas marijuana was demonized and associated with black people and therefore criminal activity. it was illegalized because 100 years ago the wrong people used it.

THC is a mild substance, and you're right; our gummint is wayyy over the top in being down on THC.

However, let's be clear. You are dead wrong about deaths attributed to THC. Lots of people have died due to the effects of taking THC. Similarly, many deaths happen annually related to Ethanol, the active ingredient in booze, for the same reason -- accidents (usually auto). You may use THC and say, "Hey, I'm good! Nothing ever happens to me when I'm smoking dope." Trouble is the same with THC or ethanol: You don't have any idea, while you're high, what its effect on you really is. Which is why a lot of folks using THC or ethanol end up dead.

If you want to know the facts, please get educated. Right now, it sounds like you may be using and not know squat. There's not nearly as many problems as the gummint says there are, I'll agree with you. However, don't try to say THC never killed anybody; it has been responsible for tons of deaths over the years. And the research on reduction of motivation after chronic use is really very strong, if you would only look into it.

I worked in psychiatric rehabilitation for thirty years, and I have dealt personally with cases where THC caused the person to go into active psychosis. That's real danger to the person! I've been there, so I know that is true.

Back