Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why did Homo sapiens migrate through the Americas?

I'm working on a project on the Homo sapiens migrations in the Americas, and I need some help with their migration reasons.

I know that they migrated because they were following their food, but that is about all that I know.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, 10 points for the best answer. Thank you

Downloads
    Uploads
    It seems that humans have an innate curiosity about what is around the next corner. They were following game and had no idea they were colonizing a new land. It's kinda like why do we do things that excite our curiosity.

Junior Member UnclePlanetaNorelation's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Because they wanted to exterminate as many of the animals as they could.

Downloads
    Uploads
    They were nomadic for a long time and so they tended to move anyway. They often follow along the coast lines so that is where a lot of humans moved but it appears there may have been 2 waves into the Americas from Asia many years apart (eg hundreds/thousands..I forget).

The climate may have forced some movement, with the ice ages the sea levels drop and there is more land available for migration or access to more land that is. This opens up pathways not available beforehand.

New sources of food may be another reason eg large animals like mammoths, which may have been preferable and a better food source than fish on the coasts.