My 3yr old boy is always crying and whining? Need advice?

Tifferst

Sep 28, 2011
From the minute he gets out of bed, hes whiny. All day long. I cant stand it anymore. Got any advice? I sent him to bed early to get a break from it.

Whats he whine about? EVERYTHING.

He saw his 10m old sister eating some berries I gave her and blew a hissy fit. He was playing a videogame and lost and threw himself against the walls and floor and then threw the controller. Hes also always hitting other kids. The games I let him play are very preschool, dora, thomas the train, toy story. Its not from those, we play them together. His dad does roughhouse with him, but I dont think its causing the whinyness, but maybe the hitting.

Quit responding to him.

When he whines, say "I don't understand that noise. You want something, talk like a big boy". Then turn your back and walk away.

When he wants something his sister has, say "If you want berries ask me politely. Talk like a big boy".

Before you allow him to play games, sit him down and tell him that if he throws the controler, screams or whines, game time is over. If he can't play properly, he won't play at all.

FOLLOW THROUGH.

The second he whines or throws it, take it. Put him in his room. Tell him he can have another chance later (an hour, the next day - whatever you think is right)

The second he talks properly, bend down, smile into his eyes and tell him how much you like it when he talks like a big boy.

HINT:
This is new to him, so he many not know exactly what to say.

If he doesn't immediately respond with "big boy talk"...TELL HIM what to say.
Example: The berries.
Say: "If you want berries, ask me politely".
Wait a second - if he doesn't respond
Say: "Mommy, please may I have some berries".
Make him repeat the words - then give him berries.

Back