Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    phatfif

At times, why do I lose control of my upper body doing sprints?

When I run, especially sprinting, I get this weird almost paralyzed sensation in my upper body where I can't fully control my arms. It's really awkward, and when I'm at a meet for track, under high stress, it seems to hit me 5 seconds into the race or at a high momentum. I really didn't think anything of it until it persisted where it was happening during practice, soccer games, anything involving sprinting really. My coaches thought it might have been because I was dizzy due to dehydration or an empty stomach; however after a couple practices with a full tank the problem persisted. This year my sister started running track and she went to my mother complaining of the same issue. I'm pretty sure we should both get checked out but I'd like to have some idea as to what I'm getting into.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by phatfif View Post
    When I run, especially sprinting, I get this weird almost paralyzed sensation in my upper body where I can't fully control my arms. It's really awkward, and when I'm at a meet for track, under high stress, it seems to hit me 5 seconds into the race or at a high momentum. I really didn't think anything of it until it persisted where it was happening during practice, soccer games, anything involving sprinting really. My coaches thought it might have been because I was dizzy due to dehydration or an empty stomach; however after a couple practices with a full tank the problem persisted. This year my sister started running track and she went to my mother complaining of the same issue. I'm pretty sure we should both get checked out but I'd like to have some idea as to what I'm getting into.
    I'm so bummed that nobody answered your question. The first time I had this sensation, I was in the 7th grade. I would also make these funny faces. At times just stepping off the curb or getting out of the car would trigger it. Playing baseball was very hard for me because the sport requires on to wait for a play to happen. I would constantly have to keep my body warm and heart pumping. I'm 25 now, I've asked around and nobody seems to know what it is.

Just like you, my younger brother has it too. I'm just now starting to study medicine and so far I haven't been able to see anything that can relate to this issue. It may just be totally new and I've named my research (personal research) PRWU-Syndrome (Pre-Req Warm-Up Syndrome), since I've found out that I slowly have to warm up my body in order to not get the sensation.

Even scarier, one time I was watching Brock Lesner go through a training camp on TV and just by watching him Train, it triggered one of these episodes. It's BAAAAD.

So far, that's all I have which is nothing. I'll star this page and get back to you. Please let me know if you hear of anything.

Thank you,
    Armando Melgoza