How Many Crew Members Would a Sci-Fi Ship Need?

Phantom887

Sep 8, 2011
I've been trying to create realistic-ish science fiction ships for a series of short stories I'm writing. I want them to be set in a consistent universe so I can minimize inconsistencies having to do with background information (such as the technology) interacting the the foreground story. One thing I just have no idea about, though, is the number of people it would take to run a large war cruiser. These are the city-in-space type of ships. The centers of command that only get called into action for the truly major confrontations.

This is their dimensions:

shape: cylinder

length - 1.7km (like I said, city in space)

diameter - 550m

external weaponry - thousands of small automatic turrets, hundreds of manual turrets, and several main batteries. (I have an actual design, but I wont get into it.)

fighter ships housed - in excess of 300, exact number undecided.

power - 6 fusion reactors

Can anyone take a guess at about how many crew members something like this might take to run? Assume artificial intelligence doesn't exist and computers are only moderately more advanced than they are now. (Don't worry, I'm not ignoring that factor. Those will come in later models.)

The only reason I ask is because I've heard modern aircraft carriers need about 3200 people, where as my estimates for a ship like this came out to less than 1500.

Use your imagination. You could draw a parallel from WW2. There we had destroyers, torpedo boats, battleships, aircraft carriers, submarines, minelayers, minesweepers, I mean you name it see? Every type of ship had a specific purpose so you just have to figure out what those purposes would be then design a ship to fulfill the necessary function, see? I see no reason why a small planet for exaple like the moon couldnt be hollowed out (if it isnt already hollow) and used as a gigantic vessel...

I hope that humanity is not so stupid as to go into space to find new ways and excuses to try to kill each other. What an insipid waste!

Well like the Starship Enterprise originally required between 400 and 500 crewmembers, but yet Data and Picard in an emergency could handle the ship all by themselves!

It all depends on how automated the equipment is and how hard it is to keep things maintained. Then you have to figure on how long each crew is going to work per day and how many shifts you need to keep things operational all the time.

Then figure out where and how all these people are going to be working, sleeping and eating together. Equipment storage, waste management and recycling, food storage, spare parts, workshops, command and control centers, intra-ship communications, passageways, recreation centers, plumbing and so forth.

Oh, and some way to steer the beast.

Back