The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath, literary analysis and reflection of the time period?

ownfullnessness

Jul 23, 2011
the assignment is for ap us history, and it is to write a 3-4 page literary analysis of the book and how it reflects the time period. i just finished reading the book and it takes place in the 1950's. however i am confused on how to write a literary analysis with reflection to the time period. would i more analyze the time period, or analyze the characters and things not necessarily relating to the 1950's. im just confused on how to start my paper. any help?

I've never read The Bell Jar, but I do know a lot about Plath and how to do a literary analysis. The book is said to be an autobiography of Plath. Take that into consideration. What kind of relationship did she have with her father, if any? She didn't get married until 1953 or so and didn't have children until the early 60's. Was the character married? What happens to her and what issues are brought forth?

You can look up what family life was like in the 1950's. If you think about all the television shows, for instance, they were so ideal and perfect to get the public away from thinking about nuclear war and trouble overseas. The 1950's were really no different than today with what happens between two people or within a family. Plath was also struggling with finding her way through life. Women were just coming into having a choice between doing their own thing or going the route of having the traditional family. This is probably why her marriage ended badly and ended up committing suicide with her toddlers in the next room.

So, just look up credited sources at your library, news articles, etc. of things that happened in the U.S. during the 1950's that had to do with war, foreign relations, scandals, family life, and the role of women. That last one coupled with traditional family life and war will probably help you the most. Sounds fun!

Hope this helped.

Back