If your 12 yr old kid asked you for a 4G iphone would you buy it for them?

LadyDee

Oct 17, 2008
I personally would not, but how about you ?
(if you have kids of course)?
well now that I got great answers.
my 12 yr old son said he wanted a 4G iphone because his friends all have one (which I doubt)
but it seems school graders now have a tech competition. I told him he would never get a 4G iphone from me, that he has to buy with his own money from his future job. I would be glad to provide a simple emergency cell phone and thats it, now some people say Im to harsh (I dont think so) Im just not spoiling a 12 year old kid.

Thank You all for your answers!

i don't even have one myself!!

there is no reason for a 12 year old to have one.

he can have an ipod (as a serious christmas present)

and if he is away from his parents a lot, then a simple phone for calling.

there is no need for anything like the iphone.

No, my mom didnt let me get one until this year (I'm 17)

I could drive a 5,000 pound wrecking ball on wheels but culdnt get an iphone lol

hell no, kids these days need to learn the value of working for what you get. you should not let them have nice expensive things unless they earn them

Maybe. It really depends on the kid. Are they mature enough? Do they get good grades? Will they offer to help around the house more/ pay for part of the bill? I'm a teenager, and I have a droid. The only reason I have one is because I got it for my birthday. I was planning on getting a different one like the Samsung Gravity 3.
I had my first phone when I was 8. I had it because my parents got divorced. I was only 8, so I wanted to be able to talk to my dad when I was with my mom, and my mom when i was with my dad. My phone wasn't very fancy, and I only needed to call my parents.
Overall, I say if your kid is good, not failing any classes, mature enough, and will pay for part of the bill, it should be ok. But you really have to know your kid, because every kid is different. Some can handle it, and some can't.
Oh, and they shouldn't be able to get apps that cost money.

Lord no. I wasn't even aloud to have a phone until I was 13 and then it was a basic cell phone. I'm 24 and don't even have one. I think if a kid wants something that cost that much money they need to wait until they're atleast 15, get a job and atleast pay for half of it.

No way! Maybe just a simple phone first. Or some of my friends have an iTouch and text and call on that, but you have to have Wifi I think.

The answer would be **** NO! I got my first phone this year and its only a qwerty phone and not even touch screen

My brother in law has a step son which is his only kid. He makes a good amount of money and him and his girlfriend got the son a cell phone guess how old he is....8!!!!! He got it when he was 6 i believe. Now an an i phone?? I do not think kids should have a high tech expensive phone. At 12 i dont see a problem with having a cell phone but an iphone i wouldent get my kid one thats for sure. Children are ungrateful when it comes to things like that and they dident buy it.

Depends how much it costs if its costs to much no. Also they would have to pay the phone bill for it.

I am a teenager myself, and while I DID get a cellphone when I was 10, it was merely an emergency line and ONLY had calling. An Iphone is very hard to control, not to mention the ability to create a HUGE bill via apps, internet and the works. I've seen younger with Iphones though, and It's ridiculous. I had to prove myself responsible enough to have the android I do now.

Not a chance. My children will be lucky if they get a "for emergencies only" phone at 12. In all likelihood my kids will be given 3 quarters so they can find a pay phone.

I don't see a reason to give a 12 year old any kind of cell phone. My kids can get jobs and buy a pay as you go phone if they feel they need a phone so badly.

Im 12 and all my friends have iphones. Every 6th grader needs a phone. I got a 3G lg env touch.

its up to you. im not a mom. obvii cus im 14 but i got an only calling phone when i was in 2nd grade because i was traveling with out my parents to meets, competitions, and pratices far away. but then i got the envy first then the alias 2 and thats when i took care of the thing like my baby it gave me responcability because i didnt have a warenty and that would be my last one. In december i got a black berry i have not gone over my bill i just have unlimited texting and the 30$ internet its a hudge use to me. And if your son goes over make him pay. On my ipod my mom makes me use gift cards so its not an extra cost to you. Id let him get it,

Back