Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is God capable of evil?

Exodus, Chapter 32. "'I have seen this people, and behold, it is a stiff-necked people; therefore let me alone, that my wrath may burn hot against them' ... But Moses besought the Lord his God, and said, 'O Lord, why does thy wrath burn against thy people...turn from thy fierce wrath, and repent of this evil against thy people' ... And the Lord repented of the evil which he thought to do to his people."

So: is the Jewish/Christian God capable of evil? Why would the Torah describe it as evil if it wasn't? Why would he change his mind- he's God and surely has access to all the information he needs to make a decision, so he can't really be debated with. He was originally planning to punish the innocent along with the sinners, because not all of the Israelites worshiped the golden calf. Moses later came back to the camp and told those who didn't worship the calf that God wanted them to kill the 3000 people who did. And then God sent a plague on the survivors. Why would he do these things?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Of course he is capable of evil. The flood, the plagues in Egypt that he sent toward innocent people just because the Pharaoh was a douche.

Why? Because in religion fear is always needed. The fear of doing something bad. Christianity, islam and judaism have used this to the best of their ability. The fear of hell, the fear of God's wrath. This is all to keep people in line. That is what religion is for. Religion is power. And great leader in history has used it very well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, our Creator God is capable of evil.