Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dogs eating Cucumbers - siezures??

I have two dogs. One is 13 years old, the other is 7. I often give my dogs leftover parts of vegetables, because if they had their way they would knock the trash over and be a garbage disposal, anyway. Of course most vets and dog-lovers say you should not feed your dogs table scraps, but I don't feed my dogs unhealthy things like snacks, etc. The question is whether anyone has ever had any experience with dogs having any problems after having eaten cucumbers or the peelings. My dog ate some cucumber one evening, and the next morning she had a seizure. She had a seizure3 years ago, after being given two vet-prescribed meds that can potentially havethose side-effects. She has not had any seizures since then. I am wondering if the cucumbers could have contributed to this. The only thing I could come up with online is cucumbers for liver cleansing. Please don't preach about table food for dogs. My older dog is 13, so I think I have this pretty well under control. Experience only.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There is currently no data indicating that cucumbers have toxic potential to pets. However, it is important to keep in mind that even vegetables or plants considered to be nontoxic can produce minor stomach upset if ingested.

While the ASPCA typically does not advocate the feeding of table foods to pets, if you choose to offer your dog a bit of cucumber now and then, be sure to keep an eye out for signs of gastrointestinal upset; if you notice any symptoms, it’s a good idea to discontinue giving him this veggie.

xx

Patti M
    Call the VET....DUH!!!! but good luck anyways!!

anna
    I have actually given my doggie, Dixie, who is 1 1/2, cucumbers, carrotts and celery as I am fixing salads for dinner. She has never (knock on wood) had any problems. Her favorites are carrotts,( she has been given a 'choice' between carrotts and cheese and she runs with the carrotts) followed by raw green beans, then cucumbers - celery not so much.

Good luck with your doggie.

crystal
    Cucumbers are high in potassium and good for dogs, but you should always peel them, so I don't think the cucumber could be the cause, but maybe a pesticide on the peeling could have contributed.

animawuver
    i dont even know if it is cucumbers because my lab started having seizures at age 4-5 hes 7 now and had them ever since we took him to the vet and we found out he has epilepsy (hope i spelled that rite)he now takes a pill every morning and every night so take your dog to the vet
    just to be safe.ps. if your dog has a seizure pet his head beacause thats were seizures start~start comforting him too.
    well hope that helps ^-^

Downloads
    Uploads
    According to the ASPCA website, the emergency veterinary procedures book and the poison plant book I have, cucumbers should be fine for dogs - but sometimes, dogs that are allergic can have seizures as a result of being exposed to their personal allergens.

It is possible the seizure was kicked off by something she ate, but overall, cucumber would have been fine for anyone else.

Keep in mind that many owners of epi dogs find that they improve when they are taken off food containing any grain, as it is thought may dogs have allergies that are kicking off their seizure activity. Looks like your dog needs that special cucumber-free kibble :-)