Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

School research paper... question for Sci-Fi geeks!?

I'm a /casual/ sci-fi fan, so for my school research project, I decided for my topic to be the genre. My project is on roughly "Does the genre of science fiction affects the future?" (The future of technology or society, etc.)

I have most of it planned out but I need some help. I'm comparing the two sides of the argument (yes, it does affect the future / no, it doesn't) and I need some evidence for both sides... I'm not asking anyone to do research for me, but researching this project was harder than I expected. If you're a fan of the genre and you know some interesting facts I could use I'd love to hear them.

So if you have any facts I can look up or sources I could use, I'd appreciate it. YOU GEEKS WILL SAVE MY LIFE, I LOVE YOU ALL.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been a Trekkie since elementary school. I'll be 30 this year.

First of all start here, maybe that'll give some insight:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_influence_of_Star_Trek

Aside from that, a few things come to mind:
    Hyposprays, PDAs, Laptop computers, Mobile Phones -- devices we take for granted today... they all first appeared in one form or another on Star Trek. (I'm most familiar with TNG but TOS probably has better examples).

Also, I've read that Cloaking technology is being worked on... you saw that in Trek too.