Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
+ Reply to Thread
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am interested in publishing my book..I am 16, will they take me seriously?

I'm scared that I send in my story, and they don't take it seriously since I'm only a teenager.
    I've written a couple of stories, but I'm having a difficulty of which one to send. I want to be positive on which one to get published, because I need to do extra editing on it..

Which would the publishers be more interested in and take more seriously. AND which one would you be more interested in and buy if you saw it?

( im going to try not to give to much away )

A. A 'species' of people, who are born with some magical mark on them, they each have a different power (either original ones or the same ones).. There is a big fight going on and a search for 'something'..They choose a girl to find that 'something'.. thats all im going to say

B. A girl is constantly having the same nightmare over and over again, and has been for a while. She's being haunted by it, and needs help. Finally she meets someone who can help her overcome her dreams..But has to go on a disastrous mission.
    C.Someone is following a girl around, but only SHE can see that person following her. Her whole life she's been seeing that person. A huge plane crash happens while she's on the flight back to her parents...and she's stuck in the middle of a place she's never been. She goes on a mission to get back home and save her loved ones and that 'place' she is. That 'person' that she can only see, is a big help to her...
    Which would you read if one was to be published

Downloads
    Uploads
    Being a teenager won't disqualify you from getting published. It won't have an impact either way. They just want quality writing no matter where it comes from. But just remember that they'll expect you to compete against adults, so the writing has to be perfect.

A) Not so much.

B) Maybe, but not enough detail for me to know.

C) Plan crash is cliche.

Good luck.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The last one is fabulous! But they're all great, you don't have to be scared. There's a lot of teens that publish books. I don't know if they'll take you seriously or not, there's a lot of fools I know. But don't let that stop you. Go to all of the publishing houses you find. By the way, you've already written all of these books ? Why do you need to chose one story in particular ? You should get them all published. Good luck, and please! Could you keep me informed by email! I just want to know how it goes!
    Btw, you should delete your question after you've got your answers, you shouldn't take the chance to have your ideas stolen, there's no copyright over it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    a and don't be nervous

Downloads
    Uploads
    Most might.
    There are authors out there as young as six. The youngest novelist was only eleven. Surely they would go for someone years older.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It doesn't matter what age you are to an extent..
    Being sixteen means you probably aren't able to go to conventions, etc. to sell your books. Many authors are self-promotors. Big publishing houses spend a ton of money on just a few authors (Stephen King, Anne Rice, etc.) but they have thousands of authors who have to do their own foot work. (Which is why it doesn' t matter which idea you go with: A, B, or C, just as long as you're able to SELL it). Remember that this is a business. Will your book generate sales?
    Approach independent publishers who will do more work FOR YOU. They may even have an author or two that goes to conventions to sell their books that will bring your book along and sell it for you for a percentage of the sale. The independent publisher should have Ingram and/or Baker and Taylor in their distribution 'package'.
    And be wary of vanity presses. They're okay if you just want a book for yourself or your family, or something, but they're not actually 'publishers'. These companies include Tate and PublishAmerica, but there are a lot of others out there as well.

I'm including a helpful link you may be interested in checking out. It gives a lot of tips and advice: http://www.midwestbookreview.com/bookbiz/advice/advice.htm

If you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to email!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I <3 A. It sounds original but with your own twist. The people at the publishing company will take you seriously. There's nothing to be nervous about. Go in there with a good argument, many facts, and know what you're going into. (by the way what are the titles of the books so i can get whichever one is published)

Downloads
    Uploads
    If your writing is good they will take you seriously. Don't send them the story.
    Send a query letter of your book to a literary agent, and until the literary agent is yours don't mention your name. I'm 14, and all young writers just like you should know: NEVER MENTION YOUR AGE.
    Because nobody cares if you're 60, 50, 40, 20, or 10. They care about good writing.
    Research publishing, figure out what a query letter is, and Good Luck :-)
    And all three stories sound really entertaining, but A is my favorite.

+ Reply to Thread