has a long delay before moving? Just bought the jeep yesterday. It has 206,000 miles on. Engine is great, Transmission is funky though.
Reverse and drive work, but there's only one forward gear... And when you put it in drive you have to put the gas down to about 2-3,000 RPMs before it will move... Reverse is the same. Then you can only hit like 20 or 30 and it won't shift.
I've been told it could be the transmission going bad.
The guy I bought it from said they changed the tranny fluid and put in ATF. Which, I don't see why that would be a problem. The transmission calls for ATF. It is an Automatic.
Anyway, they said that problems started when they changed the tranny fluid.

I've been told it could be the catalytic converter. A friend of mine had a Ford Ranger and his did the same thing, and they just had to replaced the cat and it did great. He, too, thought his transmission went out.

I've also read about the TPS sensor in these Cherokees. I only saw, I think, 2 articles on this, but they said they went to a shop because their transmission was acting up, they were told it'd be 1,600 dollars, so they decided against the repair to find a cheaper route.
They bought a new TPS sensor and now it runs great.

Help??
I probably should have told you I want to take the cheapest route, I got the jeep for a steal, but I'd still like to save some money on this one.

transmissions can get expensive. If it is the transmission, I will buy a new one from a junkyard and swap them myself.

I am going to drop the pan in the tranny here in a bit and see if the clutches smell burnt or if theres a bunch of metal strippings in the bottom of it.

I plan on changing the oil and tranny fluid today anyway to see how it goes.