Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Sara

i wanna know what to do here?

i'm 18 and really responsible, I know wrong from right, don't you think I should have some me-freedom and not be tied under a house 24/7 even on weekends? I'm not allowed anywhere outside my house, over friends house's or go into town with friends, or stay after school on my own. I can only go somewhere with my parents or BOTH my brothers. My parents won't allow it, they are really over-protecting...sometimes I feel so suffocated and going crazy in this house, I want to be independent. What should I do? I tried asking why I can't do certain things and they always come back with this answer "because I said so."

I think i forgot to mention i'm a junior in high school, I got some way to go before college.

smartypants
    Maybe you can give them some reasons how you are responsibe. They're probably worried about what kind of things can happen you if you aren't with them. Also if you are18 your probably almost out of high school go to college or get your own place.

Pebbles
    I'm surprised you are still living at home. Most kids your age would not still let your parents rule you. I commend you for obeying your parents, but i do agree they are way over-protective! Would your parents allow you to get a job after school? You must be a jr. or sr. and really need to start getting some responsibilites and given some freedom. Do you have an aunt or friend who is close to your family...or someone from the church, someone you can talk to about this? Your parents are very lucky that you haven't rebelled and moved out.
    They are obviously older parents. This "I said so" was used when I was a kid and most parents don't use that anymore. Hopefully, you are going on to college or trade school and will soon be on your own. Good luck!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well try to explain to them the EXACT thing that you said to Y!A.
    They will come to understand that you are responsible and can make good Dependant decisions.

wish you luck!

Jay
    Just cause your 18 dont let it go to your head, not trying to be rude. My sister is 18 and she had a tough time, she was like you but she work hard for her freedom and she got it. Tell them what you just said, and also tell them you need to experience life and people cause you never know who you might meet that can open a door a good career.

Downloads
    Uploads
    well first of all... be thankful for loving parents (if that's the case) and second...you are old enough to go your own way now....maybe it's time to stretch your wings.

cdkgirl88
    well you are 18 and you say that you are responsible so sit down with your parents and explain to them in an adult way no screaning etc that they need to learn to trust you and that they raised you right and that you are very proud of the way they raised you but you need a little space and tell them if you do screw up along the way at least they will know that you were raised to do the right thing in all situations and that they would be the first phone call if ever there was any problems but make sure you let them know that you are very proud of the way they raised you.

Ed A
    When is college?

Seriously, sounds like you're raised under Sharia law - yuck.

Sounds like you're going to have to grin and bear it, try not to cut loose too much when you head of to college.