Fellow atheists, is it even POSSIBLE for Christians to determine whether...

Eric

May 11, 2008
...these "prophecies" are coming true? 2 Timothy 3:1-5:

"But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God—having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.

The only ones that I can see someone possibly having a good reason for believing are coming true are: "ungrateful" (The western world is quite selfish and ungrateful), "not lovers of the good" (is it valid to say that because not everyone adheres to Christian morals that this is not a prophecy? I'm not sure it is valid. So what is the BEST way it can be explained away otherwise?). Also, the whole "false prophets" thing (which continues for several more verses) caught my attention. Although I'm guessing that such people have been going around in large numbers since Christianity began.

So, what I'm asking is, what is the most obvious way to know these "prophecies" aren't prophecies at all?

Back