Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I use dawn dishwashing detergent the oxi one is best and I don't have that problem with hard desert water. Some water has sulphar in it. Stinks like rotten eggs.

Downloads
    Uploads

How do I get rid of stinky dishes?

Ok, here's the deal... I just moved into a new apartment and for the first time in my life I do not have a dishwasher. So I am having to wash everything by hand. But for some reason, my glasses smell funny after they've been cleaned and dried! I don't get it... I wash them first since glasses tend to be the least dirty when it comes to dishes, so the water they're in is clean and super hot. I let them soak in water hotter than I can stand it (as hot as it gets) for at least 10 minutes before washing, I use lots of soap, rinse with hot water... but they still have this smell to them. It's not horrible, but it kind of makes you think twice about how clean the glass is if you smell it when drinking from it. I'd hate to have guests over drinking from my glasses and that thought run through their mind. Does anyone know how to get rid of this problem? Something I can add to the water? Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't own a dishwasher....so this is strange. Are you washing in the correct order? First glassware, then eating utensils (or vise versa), then dishes and finally pots and pans? If the glasses are coming later they may be picking up grease from earlier items.

Ditto, change the sponge weekly.

You may have stinky water, I do, maybe I've never noticed it on glassware. yes, on plastic stuff, it does linger after the plastic gets older. I do notice ice cubes stink and mess up drinks........is that the problem? use bottled water to make ice.

Don't use too much dish soap, it may be the problem. Hard to rinse off. You might want to try an intermediate rinse of either vinegar and water or bleach and water......not both! Then rinse again with plain water.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't own a dishwasher....so this is strange. Are you washing in the correct order? First glassware, then eating utensils (or vise versa), then dishes and finally pots and pans? If the glasses are coming later they may be picking up grease from earlier items.

Ditto, change the sponge weekly.

You may have stinky water, I do, maybe I've never noticed it on glassware. yes, on plastic stuff, it does linger after the plastic gets older. I do notice ice cubes stink and mess up drinks........is that the problem? use bottled water to make ice.

Don't use too much dish soap, it may be the problem. Hard to rinse off. You might want to try an intermediate rinse of either vinegar and water or bleach and water......not both! Then rinse again with plain water.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Try getting a new sponge.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use dawn dishwashing detergent the oxi one is best and I don't have that problem with hard desert water. Some water has sulphar in it. Stinks like rotten eggs.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Use paper plates

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast