Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think that IS a bit of a dilemma. There must have been a reason to leave your old school but it must have been good terms if you are still friends with your old Sensei. There is always a bond of some sort with one's teacher and if it is still strong, I see no reason why you could not continue to work out if they are offering the time at no expense to you, but because they enjoy your company and enthusiasm. I get a red flag though when you say your new teacher would not like it. Would they have the same problem if the roles were reversed and he was the old teacher looking to spend time with an old friend? As far as loyalty, if your new teacher does not respect the loyalty you feel to your old teacher, how can they feel you will be loyal to them? They should be honored that a student would hold a former teacher in so high a regard because if the day should come that you are in another locale and with another teacher that he might have the honor of your friendship as well. There have been many teachers through my 8+ years of training. Several have opened up their own facilities and I would like to think that if they gave me the opportunity to visit and come to a class or private training (free or not) my current instructor would have enough respect for ME that they wouldn't think they are trying to lure me away from my home dojo.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Theres nothing wrong with training with ur old teacher.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think that IS a bit of a dilemma. There must have been a reason to leave your old school but it must have been good terms if you are still friends with your old Sensei. There is always a bond of some sort with one's teacher and if it is still strong, I see no reason why you could not continue to work out if they are offering the time at no expense to you, but because they enjoy your company and enthusiasm. I get a red flag though when you say your new teacher would not like it. Would they have the same problem if the roles were reversed and he was the old teacher looking to spend time with an old friend? As far as loyalty, if your new teacher does not respect the loyalty you feel to your old teacher, how can they feel you will be loyal to them? They should be honored that a student would hold a former teacher in so high a regard because if the day should come that you are in another locale and with another teacher that he might have the honor of your friendship as well. There have been many teachers through my 8+ years of training. Several have opened up their own facilities and I would like to think that if they gave me the opportunity to visit and come to a class or private training (free or not) my current instructor would have enough respect for ME that they wouldn't think they are trying to lure me away from my home dojo.

Downloads
    Uploads
    its not wrong, and your teahers should not find it wrong,

Downloads
    Uploads
    its not wrong, and your teahers should not find it wrong,

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree in principal with Usagi Sensei. I got the same red flag. Before you accept your former Sensei's kind offer, you should openly and honestly talk to your new instructor. If you present it right, it would be quite childish of him/her (and he/she knows it) to refuse you. Unless the styles are so different that their methodology conflicts (shotokan vs muay thai kicks), and they are done very differently.
    Bottom line, we can not help you, you must speak to Sensei...it will become clear in an instant.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Being an old timer here, i am lie Jim R on this. If I was your instructor, i would not be upset that you went to train with your old instructor. But, I would be very P***** that you did not come to me and ask me first. It would make me question your honesty. If you would conceal or lie about what seems to some people to be minor, I'd wonder just how much I could trust you. In my early days of training, I asked my Sensei if I could also train at another Dojo on nights when we did not have classes. He told me in no uncertain terms, you can train here, or you can train there, but not both. Make your decision. I stayed in his class.

I think you should discuss this with your current instructor and be open and honest. your friendship with your old instructor does not release you from the responsibility of what is right. Remember it was you who changed to the new school. You need to be up front with your current instructor. that is the right thing to do. If you train with someone, you should be ready to abide by their rules.

I run into students all the time that have the "I am a customer, so I can choose what I want to do". what they, and possibly you, fail to realize is that your instructor is not charging you what he is worth. When a student threw that comment in my face, I quickly told him that I had put decades of my time, money, and blood into what I freely decided to share with him. There is no way that he could possibly pay me what my experience is really worth. The fees that students pay in no way cover the cost of what i offer them. So it is with any good instructor. I'm an easy going guy. i teach in a relaxed mode. My students can call me by my title, by Sensei, or anything respectable. I'm not demanding. but I will not put up with anyone that has the I pay for training so I'm the one that decides what is OK for me to do. Understand that I encourage my students to go to other schools and work out, or observe. it only proves to them that I can teach them as well or better.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Plenty of people cross train, and it is your choice in the end and your new teacher should'nt cause problems. Your old teacher seems to be doing you a favour and wants to be friends so I say you should go for it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12