Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Best Small SUV, small 4x4, or small European MPV for dogs? Do Tinted Windows

help much? Currently have the use of a van and also an old MPV, and the van is vehicle of choice in the summer if the dog has to travel because it has fewer hot sun issues. So I'm wondering what people reckon is a good car, suv, or estate car (station wagon) for dogs to be in? Also, do tinted windows help much against the sun?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Subaru forester. Best small SUV and the back seats fold down pretty flat. All wheel drive.

Junior Member DogSectionRegular's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My Grandma got a Subaru for her dogs, and I am looking into a small/mid-sized SUV for mine, like a Ford Edge, Honda Pilot, and I know several people who have dogs and have a Honda Element.

Tinted windows help with sun exposure, but a dog shouldn't be left in a car for long periods of time in the heat/sun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I also like the Subaru Forester; however, I much prefer the newer models over the older ones, and couldn't find a newer model Forester for less than $18,000 (don't know if price is a factor) and those had a good amount of mileage on them.

I settled for an '08 Ford Escape, and honestly, love it. The seats fold down flat, provided you take the headrest tops off (a hassle, but I don't ever need them totally flat, so it doesn't bother me) and the size and look is fantastic - gas mileage is also great.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a Honda CRV, and its terrific. It has the room of an SUV but rides like a car.

Mine has all-wheel drive.

The small dogs fit in the backseat, with their gear in the baggage area, or the backseats lay flat if I need to take the big dogs somewhere.

I looked at Suburus, but they are very expensive used....the Honda was reasonable, and reliable.

Tinted windows make a HUGE difference in a warm climate. Thats the first thing I did after I bought my car.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have the Subaru Outback and I love it.