Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Barometer Soup

What is the difference between an anole and a gecko? Which do I have?

My kids brought home some type of lizards today from a fair they were at. They (and Mom) are calling them geckos, but the little piece of paper they brought home is for "Anole Food".

How can I tell what they have - geckos or anoles - so we can properly care for them?

They are about 4"-5" long, the tail is about as long as the body. When you pick them up by the tail it does't come off. The run around on your hand/arm/shirt pretty fast and can jump about 12"-14" from your hand to your chest. Sorry I can't describe them better - they just look like little lizards to me!

Help...

dukefenton
    It sounds like an anole; they are physically similar to geckos but smaller. One surefire test - if it can run up clean glass, it's a gecko. Anoles climb well, but not that well.

Jesse
    its prolly an anole. if the tail is very slender its an anole. if its stout and less then long. if it has large eyes then its a gecko. geckos have more flat wide head s also. anoles are very slender. theya re slim and heres a great way to tell.. google the word anole and look at the pictures.