Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

How do I deal with a collections agency that t-mobile reported me to for an...

...invalid charge? Long story short, I bought a phone from t-mobile. There was something wrong with it, so I sent it back (with their packaging and UPS label) and they sent me a new one. It was a non contract account. I eventually closed the account and kept the phone that I had paid for in full. About a month later, I get notices saying that I owe them for the second phone. I called them and they said woops sorry this was a mistake, we are going to fix it. I had to call again and wait for an hour, they said sorry its taking so long, this will get cleared in a few business days.

Months later, I get a another notice from a collections agency. I was so mad, I called t-mobile and they said we can not speak to you about this because it has already been turned over to the agency. I said even though this was t-mobiles fault, I did nothing wrong and it is a false charge?

Does anyone have advise about what I can do? I will try contacting the collections agency, but I assume they will say why should we believe you v.s. t-mobile, and their job is to get the money from me plus their collection fee. What are my rights and what I can I do so that t-mobile does not get to screw me.

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ask them for debt validation. They need to provide proof or they need to stop harassing you. Google "debt validation" for more info.

Downloads
    Uploads
    First thing I would do is send a letter by certified mail to t-mobile explaining the situation.
    And demanding that the charge be removed and the collections account cleared.
    Anything by phone will be usless from this point on.
    A certified letter represents that you are willing to take legal action against them...

Downloads
    Uploads
    As far as I know T-Mobile offer either contract phones or prepay phones

Not sure what you mean by a "non contract account". In my experience, if there is no contract, there is no account