Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

what should i replace a blown speaker with?

As long as its the same size speaker, same wattage, and same ohms, should it work the same?

but my question is a little deeper than that:

Im trying to get into home studio recording sorry theres only a car audio section and i understand that i need active monitors (powered speakers w built in amp)

I bought a pair of passive monitors (not powered w an interal amp) comes with a 6inch sub and 3 inch tweeter.

There is a guy at a local music shop selling a well respected brand of refurbished active monitors. He says everything is working fine, tested it many times.
    (The speakers were brought to his stores as not working and he said he had to replace a few power switches and solder a few loose wires and the active monitors were working great. The only thing is, is that he sold the speakers independently to customers and for some reason he doesnt have the cabinet)

So now he is stuck with the power amp with no 3inch tweeter and no 6 inch sub or cabinet (which i have).

My question is:
    -As long as its the same size speaker, same wattage, and same ohms, should it work the same?

If that is the case i will be saving a lot of money. He's selling this item for 150$ and i have the speakers for it possibly? In stores these monitors cost about 600$

Here is a picture of the item: http://i51.tinypic.com/332rp8o.jpg

This is what the finished product looks like: http://www.rockpalace.com/gfx_productcode/104603/KRK-RP6-Rokit-G2.jpg

The passive monitors i currently have a very similar cabinet. This: http://www.roland.com/products/com/RSM-90/images/top_M.jpg
    in time i will buy the official subs and tweeter for the product. the passive monitors i have right now are not bad, they were really good in their time, but everyone has moved on to powered speakers now. i just want to know if i could use my current sub and tweeter for the mean time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The short answer is yes.

It will work, as long as they are the same size, ohms and wattage rating. By work I mean you will hear sound and music.

Will it sound the same. Probably not.

If you are replacing a 200 dollar sub with a 10 dollar one, you just aren't going to get the same quality of sound.