Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Will a bigger box make my subs louder and why?

Ive read several forums on this but no one answers what I need to know. I have 2 12" Memphis street reference subs in a modified professional box. All I did was cut it and resealed it so it would fit in my truck. But now I want to know if i build a bigger box, will they hit harder. I don't want any crap about how it depends on amp wattage and blah blah blah. I have the recommended amp wattage and all that crap. All I want to know is if I put them in a bigger box to take up all the room behind my seat, will it hit harder and deeper. I have a sealed box and plan on keeping it sealed because I went to a professional when I bought them to have him check it out and a sealed box is what he recommended. So simple yes or no please. If yes, why does getting a bigger box make it louder and deeper? Does the box vibrate with the speakers to help it project more sound?

Downloads
    Uploads
    In a sealed box, changing the size changes the resonant frequency. Generally, a larger box will result in deeper bass.
    http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=30
    If you enter the parameters of your woofer, you can play around with the box size to change the qtc of the box. This number will range from .4 to 1.2 or so. .7 will produce bass without any emphasis and as accurate the the original recording. It will also tell you the frequency the box resonates at so you can play around with the volume of the box to lower the frequency the system will hit best at. Hope this helped.