Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

A boat is floating at rest in dense fog near a large cliff...How much...

...additional time will it take? Here's the full question: A boat is floating at rest in dense fog near a large cliff. The captain sounds a horn at water level and the sound travels through the salt water and the air (340 m/s) simultaneously. The echo in the water takes 0.40 s to return. How much additional time will it take the echo in the air to return?

This is my attempt:

First I find the distance by using the ?d = V(?t) and then divide the distance by 2 since it takes twice the distance for the echo to come back, so I have a distance of 65M. Then I would this distance and the given velocity of the sound-wave to find the time it takes to reach where the sound bounces back and have a value ?t = 0.20 seconds. Then I add both, to get a total value of ?t = 0.60 seconds. Is this the answer? Or am I wrong?

Unregistered
    I am seeking the answer to this question as well, I may have mucked it up a bit though here is my attempt:

If the speed of sound in salt water is 1470m/s (as stated in the lesson I'm taking), then the answer is that it takes 1.32 seconds longer for the sound to travel through the air than the sea water.

How I got my answer:

The time, 0.4s, multiplied by the speed of sound in salt/sea water, 1470m/s, is 588m. Now, divide the distance, 588m, by the velocity, 340m/s, and the answer is 1.72s, now minus the time it takes for the sound to travel through the salt water, 0.4s, and the answer is 1.32 s longer.

I am trying to make sure my answers are correct and my calculations were done correctly, I hope someone comments and corrects us!