Where in the bible can I find scriptures on gossiping?

K

Kim

The preachers wife, and my husbands girlfriend, have been gossiping about me - and half of it was lies - I plan on making this Sunday at their church REALLY interesting when I get up in front of their whole church and air all of their dirty secrets. Would like a little scripture to quote.

I understand why many of you don't want me to handle this in church....but this is where the problem is starting....my soon to be ex-husbands girlfriend had medled in three of my relationships and I have had enough and I have warned her enough. I have enough to go through in this life and in this small town without her "help"....BTW - this is NOT my church but I do know a lot of people who attend this church regularly and if someone doesn't teach this girl a lesson real soon I am going to end up hurting her very badly - so my choices are
1. go to jail for doing something extreme to her for one of her stunts.....or
2.Handle it in a way that lets her know that I am not going to sit back and take it anymore - embarrassing her in church and letting all of her "friends" see what she's been up to sounds like a good eye opener / deterrant to me

You should handle it the way God says to handle it.

Mat 18:15 "If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother.
Mat 18:16 But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses.
Mat 18:17 If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector.

That is very plain. Gossiping is sinful (Gal. 5) but so too would be handling this in an incorrect way.

1 Timothy 3:2 KJV
A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

1 Timothy 3:11 KJV
Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things.

hope this helps

Leviticus 19:16 - "Do not go about spreading slander among your people. "Do not do anything that endangers your neighbour's life. I am the Lord."

Proverbs 18:8 - The words of a gossip are like choice morsels; they go down to a man's inmost parts.

Proverbs 20:19 - A gossip betrays a confidence; so avoid a man who talks too much.

Proverbs 11:13 - A gossip betrays a confidence, but a trustworthy man keeps a secret.

Proverbs 16:28 - A perverse man stirs up dissension, and a gossip separates close friends.

Proverbs 25:23 - As a north wind brings rain, so a sly tongue brings angry looks.

Proverbs 26:20 - Without wood a fire goes out; without gossip a quarrel dies down.

Proverbs 26:21 - As charcoal to embers and as wood to fire, so is a quarrelsome man for kindling strife.

Proverbs 26:22 - The words of a gossip are like choice morsels; they go down to a man's inmost parts.

Psalm 52:2 - Your tongue plots destruction; it is like a sharpened razor, you who practice deceit.

Psalm 34:13 - Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking lies.

proverbs 26:20
20 Without wood a fire goes out;
without gossip a quarrel dies down.

James 3:5
Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!

Jam 3:6 And the tongue [is] a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.

Jam 3:7 For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind:

Jam 3:8 But the tongue can no man tame; [it is] an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.

Leviticus 19:16 "... do not spread slanderous gossip among your people. "

Proverbs 11:13 ".. a gossip goes around revealing secrets, but those who are trustworthy can keep a confidence."

Romans 1:29 "... Their lives became full of every kind of wickedness, sin, greed, hate, envy, murder, fighting, deception,malicious behavior, and gossip."

1 Timothy 5:13 "... They are likely to become lazy and spend thier time gossiping ... getting into other people's business and saying things they shouldn't"

Mathew 7:1 "... Stop Judging others, and you will not be judged. "

Proverbs 18:8 "... What dainty morsels rumors are-but they sink deep into one's heart."

Leviticus 19:16 "... do not spread slanderous gossip among your people. "

Proverbs 11:13 ".. a gossip goes around revealing secrets, but those who are trustworthy can keep a confidence."

Romans 1:29 "... Their lives became full of every kind of wickedness, sin, greed, hate, envy, murder, fighting, deception,malicious behavior, and gossip."

1 Timothy 5:13 "... They are likely to become lazy and spend thier time gossiping ... getting into other people's business and saying things they shouldn't"

Mathew 7:1 "... Stop Judging others, and you will not be judged. "

Proverbs 18:8 "... What dainty morsels rumors are-but they sink deep into one's heart."

If you handle it this way, it will not work out well...it will not work out the way you want it to. You will not be a hero. If you are worried about what other people are thinking about you, this will not improve their view.

John 8:7
But when they persisted in asking Him, He straightened up, and said to them, "He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her."

Back