Hybrid drivers who’ve been parking in Los Angeles for free may find that privilege phased out during 2008, and stopped immediately if one council-member gets his way.
Bill Rosendahl, like CalCar Founder Felix Kramer, doesn’t feel free parking makes sense as an environmental incentive. People who take advantage of the freebie are already buying hybrid cars, and it robs the city of much needed money at a time when their budget couldn’t get more crunched.
An extension to the program was passed unanimously last week without debate, stretching it to 2011, but says Councilwoman Wendy Greuel, it’s been discussed many times in the past. The ordinance was also changed to give the privilege only to hybrid drivers with a Clean Air Vehicle sticker, cutting the program back from a $116,560 loss in city revenue to a loss of just $46,000. Those decisions were reversed pending even further consideration by the council.
This is major pet peeve of mine. If you’re going to pass something, pass it already. If you’re not, don’t. Please don’t waste you precious time and energy passing and unpassing, and debating nonstop. When that happens, it’s almost always - at least in my experience - a vote tied to egos vs. issues. I’m not saying that’s what’s happened here, it’s just my gut reaction.
Greuel is calling for a slower phase out of the program for drivers who’ve come to rely on the benefit, while Rosendahl would like to end things immediately, and not only that, but raise parking fees to a full dollar an hour.
I don’t drive that often. I work from home, we walk a lot of places (especially now that it’s warming up) and my husband has been working so much lately that when he has a day off, he likes to stay home and relax. This kind of a change wouldn’t effect our family, but I can see how someone who takes advantage of free parking wouldn’t like to be surprised with something like this.
What are your takes on it? Personally, I don’t think the timing is right for a big increase in parking fees because the people living in the city are facing their own budget crunches. Take away the free parking? On one hand, I agree that it’s probably not the biggest incentive, but if that’s how it was touted in the past, it should be honored for a reasonable amount of time. At least give people advanced warning. That extra $200+ added to someone’s budget could make the difference between making their payments and destroying their credit.
You might want to contact the LA City Council and let them know how you feel about it.Â* You can read more about the issue through the following links:
Press-Telegram
Daily BreezeÂ*
Tags: Bill Rosendahl, City Council, free parking for hybrids, LA, Los Angeles, Wndy GreuelShare This

</img>
</img>
</img> </img> </img> </img>