How many months can somebody hang on to a check before that check is void?

LeonardW

Mar 30, 2008
My cousin was given a baby shower 2.5 months ago. I couldn't attend so I sent her a card with a 40 dollar check inside. She wrote me a thank you letter, but now I see that she still has not cashed the check. How many months can she hold that check without cashing it before it becomes null and void? Is it 3 months or 6 months? I need to know so I can properly balance my check book!Oh, I know she is really busy. I didn't want to bug her is she had 6 months time, but if it's 3 months, I need to get on her about this. I know she could use that money too.dmg- I am not stupid, I deducted the amount and everything, it's just that I have to go back all those months to figure out why my statement and my register are always 40 dollars off and it is very annoying.

Maybe you should call her & remind her... She is probably really busy with the baby and forgot. Or maybe she misplaced it. I would call the bank to ask how long she has to cash it.

Typically 90 days, or 3 months. Why not call her and ask her to please deposit or cash the check. To balance you account just count the money as GONE in your ledger.

usually its 90 days. Ive seen checks that can be held for 120 - 180 days but those were from businesses like the lottery or paychecks.

Most US banks 'stale date' a check after 6 months. Check with your bank, but that usually means they will not honor it after that point.

I think it's 90 days... usually on the check it will have something that says "void after X days"

Call your bank and ask. I have had several checks over the years that were never turned in. I asked my bank and they told me that there is NO amount of time on a personal check that it becomes stale dated after. If it is EVER turned in...it must be honored. They said that I could just put it back in my account and complain to the bank if it was ever found and paid from my account. I am currently carrying one for over $30 I just over a year ago.Don't you know how to figure in an outstanding check in order to balance your checkbook???

Back