Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

How would sports medicine be a benefit in teaching martial arts?

Something possum mentioned leads me to ask this question. The quote in question below.

"Because it is perhaps possible he has other credentials, such as a degree in sports medicine, chiropractics, personal training, etc. that would more than make up for lack of rank."-P

Specifically, the matter was on a TKD instructor teaching at a club in university, but only holding a 2nd dan black belt rank. My question is more general in nature, not specifically about TKD.

Downloads
    Uploads
    use it will yes....
    make up for lack of rank no
    you dont need a degree per-say, but courses will help a lot, it will give you a better understanding of how the body works and how to prevent injuries as well as a lot more very useful information.
    i would also recommend a cpr and first aid course as well

edit ill have to separate what i wrote more so it clear.. liondancer, i didn't say it would make up for rank, may be it wasn't that clear. knowledge doesn't make up for experiences and skill.

Downloads
    Uploads
    One who is well versed in sports medicine would/should know about body physiology. So, knowing proper stretching regimens, optimum heartbeat rates for different kinds of people, and how to avoid injuries performing techniques.

One who studies this is more likely able to answer questions like "what do you mean 'turn my hips'" or "I have plantar faciitis, should I come to class", or "what is a good diet plan for me if I want to work up to next month's tournament".

They should know about first aid and healing for some injuries. Of course, best is to go to a doctor, but lets face it - I'm sure we've all seen injuries occur and the instructor (experienced or not) blurts out a diagnosis of a broken finger or sprained ankle. They will be more likely to have proper first aid equipment on-hand, and should know about training differences for children, teens, adults, and seniors.

Another example is in the focus and details of teaching specific techniques. Take a rising block, for example. It is undoubtedly one of the worst and most dangerous techniques a martial artist should ever perform. To expose the arm to something that might cut it and allow the person to bleed out in 5 minutes, or which renders the hand immobile by cutting the nerves, is reckless, unless it is done in a life-or-death situation. But how often is this technique taught to block a downward.... (what? what - other than knives, bottles, bats, and axe kicks - goes downward?)

A teacher who knows of this danger will teach the technique - and the dangers behind it. It took me 20 years to be told one day, that is a horrible technique - don't use it except in poomsae.

Another example is in stretching. I've been do dojang after dojang being taught to warm up with static stretches (butterflies, partner-assisted, etc). The explanation is that the Chinese (or Koreans or Japanese or whoever you want to blame) have been doing it traditionally for thousands of years. Yeah, and the world was supposed to be flat for just as long. So, are we to discount advances in modern medicine for the sake of tradition that is proven ineffective?

And so, one with this kind of experience can bring context into the techniques being taught.

Thank you for asking, it gave me a chance to explain.

Here are some certifications for sports medicine, and a description of the certifications.

http://www.acsm.org/Content/NavigationMenu/Certification/GetCertified/Get_ACSM_Certified11.htm#HEALTH_FITNESS_CERTIFICAT IONS

Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting question. The Chinese have traditionally always combined martial arts training with knowledge of healing with massage, acupuncture, acupressure, herbs as well as setting broken bones and dislocated joints. For the most part I agree with possum and his/her? explanation why this is benefitial to martial arts. I just would like to clarify one thing. Yes, the Chinese do a lot of very vigorous and painful stretching BUT NOT without warming up first. We roll out of bed early in the morning (5 am) and then went for a slow leisurely jog for at least 15 minutes to warm up the body. However, the westerners in their infinite wisdom and quest for quick results and saving time skip the warm up part. I would like to know how many teachers send their students out to jog before class to warm up in the US. I know of 2 out of the many schools I know about. How many students would complain and say we did not pay tuition to jog?

I disagree with Shihan J since I don't believe that rank always equals knowledge but signifies if you are willing to go for your next test if you happen to care to show your knowlege via rank or have stuck long enough in an association to qualify for a political promotion which is the case in a lot of higher ranks of black belt. I take rank with a grain of salt.

Downloads
    Uploads
    One who is well versed in sports medicine would/should know about body physiology. So, knowing proper stretching regimens, optimum heartbeat rates for different kinds of people, and how to avoid injuries performing techniques.

One who studies this is more likely able to answer questions like "what do you mean 'turn my hips'" or "I have plantar faciitis, should I come to class", or "what is a good diet plan for me if I want to work up to next month's tournament".

They should know about first aid and healing for some injuries. Of course, best is to go to a doctor, but lets face it - I'm sure we've all seen injuries occur and the instructor (experienced or not) blurts out a diagnosis of a broken finger or sprained ankle. They will be more likely to have proper first aid equipment on-hand, and should know about training differences for children, teens, adults, and seniors.

Another example is in the focus and details of teaching specific techniques. Take a rising block, for example. It is undoubtedly one of the worst and most dangerous techniques a martial artist should ever perform. To expose the arm to something that might cut it and allow the person to bleed out in 5 minutes, or which renders the hand immobile by cutting the nerves, is reckless, unless it is done in a life-or-death situation. But how often is this technique taught to block a downward.... (what? what - other than knives, bottles, bats, and axe kicks - goes downward?)

A teacher who knows of this danger will teach the technique - and the dangers behind it. It took me 20 years to be told one day, that is a horrible technique - don't use it except in poomsae.

Another example is in stretching. I've been do dojang after dojang being taught to warm up with static stretches (butterflies, partner-assisted, etc). The explanation is that the Chinese (or Koreans or Japanese or whoever you want to blame) have been doing it traditionally for thousands of years. Yeah, and the world was supposed to be flat for just as long. So, are we to discount advances in modern medicine for the sake of tradition that is proven ineffective?

And so, one with this kind of experience can bring context into the techniques being taught.

Thank you for asking, it gave me a chance to explain.

Here are some certifications for sports medicine, and a description of the certifications.

http://www.acsm.org/Content/NavigationMenu/Certification/GetCertified/Get_ACSM_Certified11.htm#HEALTH_FITNESS_CERTIFICAT IONS

Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting question. The Chinese have traditionally always combined martial arts training with knowledge of healing with massage, acupuncture, acupressure, herbs as well as setting broken bones and dislocated joints. For the most part I agree with possum and his/her? explanation why this is benefitial to martial arts. I just would like to clarify one thing. Yes, the Chinese do a lot of very vigorous and painful stretching BUT NOT without warming up first. We roll out of bed early in the morning (5 am) and then went for a slow leisurely jog for at least 15 minutes to warm up the body. However, the westerners in their infinite wisdom and quest for quick results and saving time skip the warm up part. I would like to know how many teachers send their students out to jog before class to warm up in the US. I know of 2 out of the many schools I know about. How many students would complain and say we did not pay tuition to jog?
    I disagree with Shihan J since I don't believe that rank always equals knowledge but signifies if you are willing to go for your next test if you happen to care to show your knowlege via rank or have stuck long enough in an association to qualify for a political promotion which is the case in a lot of higher ranks of black belt. I take rank with a grain of salt.