I'm looking for two books by an author who's name I forgot. I was reading excerpts from the two like, a year ago. So I'm only describing what I read. One of the books: a girl was crying in her bedroom. Then her father came in and apologized to her, and said he did what he did because he loved her. (Not a way a father's supposed to love his daughter, he's apologizing because he raped her.)

Then in the other book, (I think it was a flashback I read), the girl couldn't sleep, and she was hearing her mom arguing with someone. (A dude who I think she said she saw sometimes leaving her house) So the girl peeked at her mom and the guy arguing, (he was dressed in black) they were fighting about money and how her mom owed the guy money. Then I think he slapped the mom, and the little girl pushed the door open because he hurt her mom. After the girl's mom tells her to go back to her room. So she does, but then she goes back to the door (I think) and listens to what's happening (before her mom told her to close the door), and the girl hears a gun shot, so then she opens the door again, and sees her mom lying on the floor. Then the guy who killed her mom, told her to call her grandma, and to not tell anyone what happened (And I think he threatened her by saying or he'll kill her too)

Oh, and not trying to be racist but I remember the author being black and the characters being black too..
Sorry for all the parentheses, thanks to anyone who helps.