Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

If your child is home sick?

what do you allow them to do while home sick? Do they have to stay in bed? Are they allowed to play with toys or use the computer/video games etc...?How old are your kids? sometimes kids are too sick to go to school but not so sick they are confined to the bed, then what do you allow?Natasha, if a child has a fever they not allowed to be at school it's not an act when they have a fever.sorry for the confusion, when I said home sick I meant home from school because they are sick.my son is 8 and is home sick. he was sent home from school on Friday with low grade fever and headache. all weekend he ran a pretty good fever between 102 and 103. Monday he was in te 99's for fever and today he is right around 100.1. We have a doctors appointment in an hour. He has sore throat and headache but is on Motrin which has made him feel a little better and he wants to play. I still can't send him to school though of course.again home sick meaning he is AT home sickjust got back from the doctors. They did a strep test and it was positive so he has strep throat. Now he's on antibiotic. the doctor said if he feels ok he can return to school tomorrow since he will have had a few doses by then.

Downloads
    Uploads

Let them go home if thats possible?If not then "sometimes kids are too sick to go to school but not so sick they are confined to the bed" is an act. Get them to school whether they like it or not. School isn't compulsory for nothing. They'll soon settle in when they make friends at school so not sending her/him to school will have more of an effect in a bad way than a good way.

Downloads
    Uploads

My kids aren't in school yet, but when I was a kid, if I was sick my mom would make me a whole little set-up on the couch. I'd have lots of pillows and blankets. The coffee table would be filled with crackers, orange juice, tissues and other things like that. There was always a trash can near by just in case I needed to vomit. Other than that, I spent the whole day watching cartoons and sleeping. I mean, think about when you stay home from work because you are sick. You don't necessarily stay in bed all day, so I don't think kids have to either. You can be sick enough to stay home without being bed ridden. Definitely no getting up and playing though. Books, puzzles and other calm, quiet things are OK.When you first wrote "home sick", I thought you meant they were missing being at home. I assume you mean that the child stayed home from school because they were ill.

Downloads
    Uploads

My son is six. When he is home sick from school, I allow him to bring his pillow and blanket to the living room and cuddle up on the sofa to watch Nickelodeon. I don't allow him to play video games. If he's feeling better by the afternoon, I allow him to play with his toys though.

Downloads
    Uploads

my daughter was out of school a couple of weeks ago due to a viral infection. which with that the only reason she couldnt go to school was it takes 24 hours to not be contagious anymore and i didnt want to take the chance of giving it to other children. but with a viral infection, they dont feel any different. mine was running around playing and everything.

Downloads
    Uploads

I allow them to do whatever they want in the house. I do not allow playing outside.If they are home sick...I don't see a reason to make them lie around and do nothing if they feel well enough to play. It's almost like a punishment not letting them do things.Your son sounds like he has the same thing my daughter had last week. It's a virus..the doctor can't do anything.

Downloads
    Uploads

lovemy4boys... Your right about the schools do not allow children with fevers or even a yucky nose or a cough. Unfortunately, this is the time of year for it. You don't need to force them to stay in bed, if they are feeling weak they will want to lay down, if they want to watch tv or play the computer or even play with their toys, let them. They are still resting and not running around. Of course don't let them out doors to play. This way they are relaxing and not bugging you constantly because they are bored. They shouldn't be punished for being sick. You did the right thing to keep him home.Natasha... FOA is right. You do not send your child to school even with a slight fever or a cough or runny nose. All the other children will catch it and its not fair. Be a considerate mother to other children and please keep the sickness at home not school. That's not nice.

Downloads
    Uploads

I let my daughter do anything but go outside or stuff like that. She can't ride her bike obviously but no sand box and even if she feels better later in the day there's no playing with friends if she stayed home. I knew too many kids in school that would say they were sick just to stay home and then play all day and still be able to play after school. So that's just my rule. You stay home you are "staying home". I know that when I feel sick I usually just like to sit around and watch some fun movies. Video games are a little different. If you notice how boys play them it's not a relaxing thing. They get very worked up while playing. I would have some limits so he doesn't think staying home is a free day and he's allowed to just run wild and do anything he likes. I've never made my daughter stay in bed but once she had a really bad fever and she didn't want to get out of bed until 1 in the afternoon until her fever broke.

Downloads
    Uploads

I say, if they're feeling miserable but are not nessesarily sick enough to be bedridden, they should be allowed to do whatever they want. But since they won't have any energy, they'll probably just choose to lay on the couch and watch TV. Other low-energy activities like puzzles or books would also be ideal. If they're really sick and not just faking it, they won't want to be up and about, playing with toys. For sick days, watching TV and napping should suffice. I don't have kids, but when I was little and home sick, my mom would make up a bed on the couch and I would watch old videos pretty much all day. Like I said, that's probably one of the only things sick kids have enough energy to do, lol. On the other hand, if your kid takes advantage of the situation and asks to stay home even when he isn't really sick, make him stay in his room. That should bore him enough that he won't try to do it again.

Downloads
    Uploads

The child needs at least 24 full hours on antibiotics before they aren't contagious anymore. I would keep him home again tomorrow just to be safe. Call the doctor and see if they will give you an excuse for then as well. My school age kids are almost 8 and almost 6 and when they are sick from school they are allowed to do what they feel like doing. Normally, they are too sick to want to do much but lounge around the house and watch tv. The last bout of strep which we also had the flu at the same time, they had to stay home for a whole week.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast