I received a letter in the post today that quite clearly says I have won a prize and need to send off to claim it. It's a bit different to the normal competition rubbish that comes.
Some quotes:
"APA International Headquarters is pleased to announce that as of 27/10/2010, <my name> of <my city> HAS WON 1.69 MILLION POUNDS!!!"

"These offices guarantee full delivery of £1,960,000 in fully certified winnings documentation to: <my name>"
(Ok maybe that one's not so clear)

"This documentation has been authorised (etc) by the payouts division of the corporate headquarters of APA International."

And I have to send a cheque for £19.99 to claim. Reading the small print seems to reveal that I am actually claiming information about a lot of competitions they do in which I MIGHT be able to win £1,690,000, and it also says "This company does not ... award prizes or money and this is not a prize notification".

But it very clearly says that I HAVE won that amount. Is that legal, to blatantly lie in the letter like that? If it isn't, or even if it's just slightly dodgy, who do I complain to? And will it make a difference that the company is based in the Netherlands and not in the UK?
Please read the whole thing! I'm not asking if it's a scam, I'm telling you it's a scam and asking what to do about it.