Atheists, why do you not realize that the resurrection of Jesus Christ is...

AngrySpaceman

Nov 8, 2010
...a factual, historical event? Why don't you realize that this is absolutely true, even though I have never observed it nor have evidence for it, why don't you take my word for this?

Why don't you realize that it is more likely that the entire laws of the physical universe has been usurped, rather than I, a fallible human being, am mistaken?

Why do you not realize that the only reason I believe in this is that I feel an emotional connection to Jesus Christ, and emotion without logic will never distort my thinking?

Why don't you realize this? Hmm?
-Angry Spaceman.

Roman Sources
There are allusions to Christ in Roman times (see Bettenson 1961, 3-7). Pliny, governor of Bithynia, wrote the Roman emperor Trajan (ca. A.D. 112), asking for advice about how he should deal with Christians who made it a practice to meet on an appointed day to sing a hymn “to Christ as if to God” (Epistle of Pliny to Trajan X.96).
The Roman historian Tacitus, in his Annals (ca. A.D. 115), referred to “Christus,” who “was executed at the hands of the procurator Pontius Pilate in the reign of Tiberius” (XV.44).
Writing about A.D. 120, Suetonius, a popular Roman writer, declared that Claudius expelled the Jews from Rome because they “were continually making disturbances at the instigation of Chrestus” (Vita Claudii XXV.4). “Chrestus” is a corrupted form of Christos (Christ). Luke alluded to this situation in Acts 18:2.
Antagonists of Christianity
Another line of evidence establishing the historicity of Jesus is the fact that the earliest enemies of the Christian faith did not deny that Christ actually lived (see Hurst 1897, 180-189).
Celsus, a pagan philosopher of the second century A.D., produced the oldest extant literary attack against Christianity. His True Discourse (ca. A.D. 178) was a bitter assault upon Christ. Celsus argued that Jesus was born in low circumstances, being the illegitimate son of a soldier named Panthera (see above). As he grew, he announced himself to be God, deceiving many. Celsus charged that Christ’s own people killed him, and that his resurrection was a deception. But Celsus never questioned the historicity of Jesus.
Lucian of Samosata (ca. A.D. 115-200) was called “the Voltaire of Grecian literature.” He wrote against Christianity more with patronizing contempt than volatile hostility. He said Christians worshipped the well-known “sophist” who was crucified in Palestine because he introduced new mysteries. He never denied the existence of Jesus.
Porphyry of Tyre was born about A.D. 233, studied philosophy in Greece, and lived in Sicily where he wrote fifteen books against the Christian faith. In one of his books, Life of Pythagoras, he contended that magicians of the pagan world exhibited greater powers than Christ. His argument was an inadvertent concession of Jesus’ existence and power.
The Patristic Writers
The Patristic writers authored significant works between the end of the first and eighth centuries A.D. These so-called “church fathers” (patres) produced volumes important to understanding the changes occurring in the Christian religion during the post-apostolic age, and testify profusely to the historical Christ (see Bettenson 1956).
Polycarp (c. A.D. 69-155), for example, lived in the city of Smyrna in Asia Minor. He spoke passionately of Christ, and wrote against certain heretics of his day. Irenaeus (c. A.D. 130-200) said that Polycarp had personal association with the apostle John, and with others who “had seen the Lord” (Eusebius V.XX). He died a martyr, having served Jesus Christ for eighty-six years (suggesting that almost his entire life was dedicated to the Savior). The testimony of the “church fathers” certainly is more compelling than the trifling objections of biased critics, twenty centuries removed from the facts.
The Roman Catacombs
Beneath Rome there exists a maze of galleries that served, from the second to the fifth centuries A.D., as tombs (and secret places of worship during persecution) for early Christians. It has been estimated that there are some six hundred miles of these subterranean passages, representing 1,175,000 to 4,000,000 graves (Blaiklock 1970, 159).
The catacomb vaults are filled with artwork, which testifies to the deep faith in Christ that was embraced by legions in the capital of the Roman Empire. Common among these inscriptions was the figure of a fish, frequently containing the word ichthus (Greek for “fish”; Boyd 1969, 203). The letters, however, were an acrostic for the declaration, “Jesus Christ, God’s Son, Savior.” Did millions, living in the shadows of the first century, die for a myth? Such a theory makes no sense.
The Impact of Christianity
Finally, the impact of the Christian movement is powerful testimony to the reality of its Founder. It is inconceivable that a nonexistent figure could have generated a societal force as world-shaking as Christianity. There is no logical way to explain how the Christian system started, and grew so rapidly, except for the fact that adherents knew of Jesus’ life, death, and resurrection. Christianity itself is a monument to the vibrant presence of God’s Son in history.
The cause we espouse is not grounded in a wispy vapor of antiquity, but on unshakable historical facts.

"No one will deny or dispute the power of the Almighty to make such a communication if he pleases. But admitting, for the sake of a case, that something has been revealed to a certain person, and not revealed to any other person, it is revelation to that person only. When he tells it to a second person, a second to a third, a third to a fourth, and so on, it ceases to be a revelation to all those persons. It is revelation to the first person only, and hearsay to every other, and, consequently, they are not obliged to believe it.

"It is a contradiction in terms and ideas to call anything a revelation that comes to us at second hand, either verbally or in writing. Revelation is necessarily limited to the first communication. After this, it is only an account of something which that person says was a revelation made to him; and though he may find himself obliged to believe it, it cannot be incumbent on me to believe it in the same manner, for it was not a revelation made to me, and I have only his word for it that it was made to him." ~Thomas Paine (a Founding Father of the U.S.) in The Age of Reason

-Ex-fundie-xian; agnostic atheist

"Science will even admit the Ascension if you call it Levitation, and will very likely admit the Resurrection when it has thought of another word for it. I suggest the Regalvanisation."
-- G.K. Chesterton, "Orthodoxy"

Because it's a common claim made about other 'gods' or god-like figures (Egyptian deity Horus is thought to be one very good candidate as the origin for many of the claims made about Jesus - and yes, among other things, Horus was supposedly resurrected.). Egyptian gods Osiris and ISis were also resurrected as was the Babylonian god Tammuz and the Greek (originally Lebanese) god Adonis to name but a few.

Because the bible is clearly a collection of short stories written by man to promote some of the superstitions and beliefs common during the bronze ages.

Because the need for gods and god-like figures is becoming a thing of the past as we become able to explain more and more of the things we used to attribute to such entities-

Why dont you realize that the Holy Spirit is more powerful then you can ever imagine.

When Taz and Bugs Bunny actually make a visit to my house and tell me face to face, I will then believe it's a factual, historical event.

Actually it did not become a "factual, historical event" until it receive a majority vote at the First Council of Nicaea in 325 CE.

Your emotions are manufactured. You have never met, felt or smelled the object of your 'emotions', therefore they are entirely manufactured in your head.
Ok, ok, I'll take your word for it! If you say the resurrection of JC is true, then I guess it must be. You got me, I'm born again! Hallelujah!

I think you got em there angry spaceman! Oh wait, you're being sarcastic? Oh crap.

I don't realize it because no one has proven it to me. Just like I don't realize that your question is proper English.

Back